Forum Replies Created

Page 1169 of 1228
  • David Roth weiss

    February 21, 2006 at 11:06 pm in reply to: Does Taost 7 work with Tiger?

    Absolutely!

  • David Roth weiss

    February 21, 2006 at 6:39 pm in reply to: HDV monitoring on FCP

    Arturo,

    The Miranda box is not cheap, and more importantly, there is the question of whether or not it really allows for recapture with 100% precision and reliability. I’m not saying that I know for sure that it doesn’t, I’m just suggesting that I wouldn’t think about going that way unless I absolutely knew that I could recapture flawlessly.

    Personally, given that hard drives are so incredibly cheap now, I would probably either capture everything in native HDV or in one of the intermediate codecs and go from there. But, since you haven’t said exactly what your final product is, DVD, TV, film out, etc., and since you haven’t indictaed how much footage you will ultimately be capturing for the project, its really impossible for anyone to give you perfectly informed advice.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    February 21, 2006 at 1:33 am in reply to: Final Cut movies won’t play between machines

    Don,

    Make certain that the same version of QT is on both machines. Some of the latest QT versions are suddenly very particular.

  • David Roth weiss

    February 20, 2006 at 10:10 pm in reply to: Good Hard Drives

    Sean,

    I recently posted “Roll You Own Low Cost 1.2 Terrabyte SATA Raid” on the FCP forum. You should check it out. Raid-0 throughput averages about 230Mbps.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    February 20, 2006 at 6:38 pm in reply to: Media Manager Copy vs Use Existing

    Tom,

    As a southerner myself, originally from Pre-Katrina New Orleans, I too wanted to know the the origins of “goin’ south.” And so I found the following excerpt on the WORD DETECTIVE website, which I quote in full.

    According to Robert Chapman’s Dictionary of American Slang (Harper Collins, 1995), “go south” (or “head south” or “take a turn south”) means “to disappear; fail by or as if by vanishing,” which certainly seems to cover a computer or other device that simply stops working and cannot be revived. “Go south” can also mean to abscond with money or loot, to cheat at cards, or simply to sharply diminish, as in “Enron investor confidence went south after Ken Lay sold his personal stock holdings in the company.”

    Mr. Chapman’s dictionary dates the first appearance of “go south” in its primary sense to the 1940s, and the “to abscond” meaning to around 1925. But the indefatigable word sleuth Barry Popik has found a citation from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch of May 1903 in which a glossary of slang heard at the St. Louis fair reported that “gone south” meant “left the town; not heard of; to steal.” So we can safely assume that the major senses of “gone south” were already in use by the beginning of the 20th century.

    There seem to be two theories about the “south” in “gone south.” It may simply be a reference to the map-making convention that “south” on a map equals “down,” so to “go south” would be to head for the metaphorical bottom. A more intriguing theory is that the “south” originally referred to Mexico, to which one might well run in the early 20th century if one wanted, or needed, to elude legal pursuit and “disappear.”

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    February 20, 2006 at 5:53 pm in reply to: Media Manager Copy vs Use Existing

    [Patrick] “I want to make a duplicate copy of a timeline with all the used media”

    Patrick,

    What is your objective? Where do you want to copy to, what do you want to use it for?

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    February 20, 2006 at 6:35 am in reply to: Does Adobe Suite do this?

    So Rich, if they do this differently are you going to be switching over to Premiere?

  • David Roth weiss

    February 20, 2006 at 3:01 am in reply to: Does Adobe Suite do this?

    Rich,

    I’m not encouraging you to pirate, but wouldn’t disconnecting your network connection before booting up the second computer allow you to run DVD SP on it?

  • David Roth weiss

    February 18, 2006 at 8:32 pm in reply to: FCP Keyboard Stickers???

    David,

    I think the only ones available are written in American…

    DRW

  • Peter,

    If he’s already letterboxed the whole movie by masking top and bottom one would assume he’s already repositioned every shot, and if not, it would be too late now…

    DRW

Page 1169 of 1228

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy