Forum Replies Created

Page 143 of 414
  • When I was a mere prat, I edited the evening film reel at a tv station. I clipped off the leaders from about 300 PSAs and commercials and assembled them into a stream of consciousness film project that included drawing on the individual frames and scratching the emulsion.

    Out of the 300 or more leaders on the reel, only a few were actually the same off-the-shelf official Academy package. I was amazed at the variety and creativity various studios and labs had invested in a mere 8 seconds.

    bogiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 2, 2008 at 3:41 pm in reply to: big problem with AE and FCP

    https://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSDAA79084-B2A4-4085-9B98-9A7B57DABE62a.html

    Might help you figure out a more appropriate route for your clips.

    bogiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 2, 2008 at 3:39 pm in reply to: big problem with AE and FCP

    [mike mills] “well that is really some bad news because after reading these forums for so long I learned that the “experts here” say that AE does a great job at downscaling HD to SD, so that is a contradiction to what you are telling me, now point number two, I cannot stay in fcp I do so many effects to the live footage in AE and so many plug ins are there that its imposible to change that, agiain someone please help “

    Try posting on another AE forum if you’re not getting the answers you want. Do those guys a favor and include the advice you’re received here so they don’t waste any more of your time.

    If you process your entire show in AE, you must determine an economical way to reduce or avoid the inevitable compression and image degradation imposed by your format conversions and effects.

    One of the better tools for your workflow is probably going to be Automatic Duck which will bring your FCP project into AE as a series of individual layers instead of a reference movie. But you will still need to change everything about how you move from FCP to AE and back to FCP.

    bogiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 2, 2008 at 3:22 pm in reply to: Standing Waves

    Run to your nearest bookseller for a copy of MAKE magazine #16, turn to:
    https://makezine.com/16/chladni/

    Harmonics like that are usually pretty easy to simulate with simple sine wave generators. You’re not realy trying to emulate an actual Chaldni plate system, just get timed and intersecting Lissajous patterns. There are numerous Lissajous generators for PC, must be something for the Mac out there. There are many Shockwave, Java, and Flash widgets will do them.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve
    https://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/Lissajous.htm
    https://www.mathcats.com/explore/lissajous/lissajous.html

    bopgiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 1, 2008 at 7:25 pm in reply to: exporting to dv stream

    > Movie is way too far in the past for me.< Ah, yes. My mistake for thinking you were looking for something you already had and that was super simple to use. bogiesan This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 1, 2008 at 4:14 pm in reply to: What program is this?

    the barely discernible icons on the lower left of the window are from After Effects (maybe Premiere, I don’t have Premiere). That doesn’t necessarily mean the effects were created in AE, just that movie is playing back in AE.

    bogiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 1, 2008 at 4:08 pm in reply to: Fire revealing image

    Easier and more fun to set the page on fire and shoot it.
    We see this post often so try searching for the terms.

    Using a combination of Film Burn and Fractal Noise or any of the particle systems that are capable of creating flame effects will do the job but there is no easy, one-click solution to this effect. It’s as complicated as your need for realism or stylization.

    After you cruise the cow for AE tutorials, check these sites for flame tutorials:

    https://www.colinbraley.com/tutorials.html
    https://motiongraphicslab.com/
    https://www.motionworks.com.au/
    https://www.graymachine.com/
    https://aftereffects.digitalmedianet.com/articles/splasharticle.jsp?type=techniques
    https://www.aenhancers.com/
    https://www.cybmotion.com/index.html
    https://www.tutorialfinder.com/articles/listarticle.jsp?type=AfterEffects
    https://www.mhouse-j.com/quicktime/eng/vtc.html
    https://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/aetutorials.html

    bogiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm in reply to: big problem with AE and FCP

    Your workflow, as I understand what you have described, introduces unnecessary compression, decompression, and recompression steps. You want as many of these steps eliminated as possible. I’d stay in FCP until the last export stage. AE is not meant to be a format conversion system nor is it a video editor altho the capabilities are certainly there. I would never edit a program in AE. I do text and graphics in After Effects and export those items as animation movies and take them into FCP.

    bogiesan

    [mike mills] “my workflow is as follows, I shoot hvx200 at 720P 30PN at 30fps
    I edit in fcp in hd as normal and then send those hd clips to ae cs3 as
    a ref movie, in AE I create a new comp as regular ntsc dv D1 0.9 720×480 scale my HD clips to make sure they fit on a SD comp by “transform fit to comp width” and this creates the letterboxing effect
    also, I make sure that on project settings my depth is set to 8 bits, working space is set to “none” and the “match legacy quicktime gamma adjust” is checked
    ok so I do as I normally do, do my graphics and text and all, when it comes time to render I render as dvcpro50 as highest quality, interlaced
    now back in fcp I just export as mpeg4 or as mpeg2 using compressor, “

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 1, 2008 at 3:54 pm in reply to: Qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card

    https://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405948&sliceId=1

    > 1. Make sure that the system meets the minimum requirements for After Effects.
    Refer to “Graphics Acceleration (GPU) support in Adobe CS4 applications” (TechNote kb405445) for a list of supported GPU chipsets.
    After Effects may not run correctly on a system that doesn’t meet the following requirements:
    Mac OS:
    Multicore Intel® processor
    Mac OS X v10.4.11-10.5.4
    2GB of RAM (more RAM recommended when running multiple components)
    20.6GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on flash-based storage devices)
    1,280×900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
    Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
    Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred
    Core Audio-compatible sound card
    QuickTime 7.4.5 software required to use QuickTime features< This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • David Bogie

    December 1, 2008 at 3:51 pm in reply to: FCP to Motion

    Many of us get around this by exporting the clip to which effects have been applied as a self-contained movie. Take that into Motion.

    bogiesan

    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

Page 143 of 414

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy