Chris Poisson
Forum Replies Created
-
Chris Poisson
November 10, 2006 at 4:27 pm in reply to: slightly OT: Hourly rate for competing “high-end” platforms?Bob,
I would just call around to some bigger houses in LA and NYC and ask for a rate card, you can probably even get them on-line. I’m sure with the proliferation of the desktop stuff going on that pricing today is all over the place, but the big houses that have survived today are probably still pretty close on these services.
Anyway, the last time I did a Flame job here in Phoenix it was around $250/hour, in LA it was $500 and up. But that was around 8 years ago, so today I have no clue. Sorry!
-
Francesco,
I have a DecklinkSP which was hooked up to my G5 2 gig and UVW 1800 for almost 2years and it worked great. The last driver I had installed was 4.8, I think. The card is now hooked up to my G4 1.42 sans any workable deck, but it still gives me another SD uncompressed station and it monitors AE in real time, so that’s cool. (I’m running the G5 with a Kona LH which is just superb, plus HD!)
Not sure about your deck, but if it has an SDI out you might want to think about a card with SDI in, I know there’s a few out there that shouldn’t break your budget, it would just give you that little bit extra. But component in with the DLSP works just fine too.
You will see a few newer driver options from BM on their site, not sure which you should use, but 4.8 worked just fine for me. Maybe time to test them or read up on them. Anyone else?
-
Chris Poisson
November 10, 2006 at 2:18 pm in reply to: How much should I charge for a copy a year later?Capn,
I pretty much agree with Walter, except that, if I have to un-archive the project from discs or storage drives and re-render or whatever, I add that time to the dub charge. I get these requests all the time, and sometimes on jobs in which I have to recapture the media, which adds a little more time.
For Beta dubs, I charge what online places and dub houses around here charge, which averages around $35 for a 10 minute or less copy.
On average, I’d say this kind of request goes out the door for less than 200 bucks.
-
Nigel,
Compression is a dark cross between art and science, even the best in here don’t know it all.
But, since you were asking about software encoders, here’s my take:
Compressor is awesome if (and that’s a bif IF) you bother to take the time to learn it and tinker with it. Truly awesome.
Bitvice demos I have played with look very, very good, my only hesitation is that there’s not as much control over it as with other solutions including Compressor and the rest I will mention.
Sorenson Squeeze Suite is probably the easiest to use and a very complete solution, settings in filters are somewhat limited though, but a very, very good product.
My favorite far and away is Episode Pro, formerly Compression Master. It is screaming fast, has GREAT filters and presets, and will make just about any kind of file you can ask for. Highly recommend it.
I’m sure some of the hardware solutions listed here are very good, but the LaCie mentioned is for DV only, so that’s a limitation. I also wonder if a hardware solution gives as many options for output other than mpeg2 as Compressor, Squeeze or Episode, which are entirely different solutions.
I’d take some time to play with the diferent demos, and see what’s best for you.
-
The best blow up you can get on them is with PhotoZoomPro, pretty incredible. 133% is nothing for it.
-
The best blow up you can get on them is with PhotoZoomPro, pretty incredible. 133% is nothing for it.
-
Question, after springing for this software, what does it cost and what-all do I have to buy in the way of Windows software, what would be the recommended minium/optimum to make my Mac a bona fide Windows station? In other words, what would I need to become most compatible with my Windows-only clients?
-
Lee,
Yes, thanks, Streamclip did it just fine. Didn’t see the option to select video or audio clip the first time.
-
I don’t have the old Dolby software, and I tried opening the file in mpegStreamclip, but couldn’t get it to go. Will try again.
-
Ken,
I thought your first post was pretty clear, since you mentioned Joe’s Filters. The NR filter in there works pretty well, but the NR in AE 6.5 and up is a lot better. There is a de-noise filter in Boris Continuum complete, but it kinda expensive.