Forum Replies Created

Page 135 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    May 12, 2007 at 1:00 am in reply to: Which still format will render quickest?

    Russ,

    All were around double the frame size, give or take a few pixels if they were vertical, but all were about the same. I always work that way, about double my frame size, unless I need to do a really big move on one.

  • Chris Poisson

    May 11, 2007 at 8:34 pm in reply to: Which still format will render quickest?

    It must be crazy being in research, you get a wild hunch and test away, and nothing much happens. What a crashing bore.

    Anyways, I took 11 jpegs of around 1440×900 or so at 72 dpi, and I did a save as to tiff, pict and png. I put :05 clips of each into a timeline, each in it’s own sequence. I did a little move and scale on each, exactly the same on all. Rendering each on a stopwatch gave the following results, after which I tossed all the render files and did it again, same results.

    Pict: 3:22
    Tiff: 3:13
    Jpeg: 3:15
    Png: 3:15

    Adding the default transition to all took a bit longer to render but the results were consistent with the first round:

    Pict w/trans: 3:50
    Tiff w/trans: 3:37
    Jpeg w/trans:3:32
    Png w?trans: 3:35

    The answer? Pict files seem slower to render, the rest seem about equal. Sorry this wasn’t more exciting…(yawn!) Oh well…

  • Chris Poisson

    May 11, 2007 at 5:26 pm in reply to: Which still format will render quickest?

    Good point. Think I’ll make a couple of identical sequences with pict, tiff and jpeg and put a timer on the renders.

  • Chris Poisson

    May 11, 2007 at 5:15 pm in reply to: Which still format will render quickest?

    I should have mentioned two things as pointed out, one, I’m mostly working in 8bit SD on a G5 dual with 4.5 gigs of RAM. The other is I am well aware of resolution and sizing issues, I am one of those anal people who make EVERYTHING 72 dpi at no more than twice my frame size, so my tuff is never too big.

    I brought this up because a timeline with a preponderence of jpegs seemed to render slowly, and I wondered if FCP is having trouble rendering such a compressed source on an uncompressed timeline. Also someone on Ken Stone’s site aluded that jpegs could be my render problem, so I thought I’d bring it up here.

  • Chris Poisson

    May 11, 2007 at 3:29 pm in reply to: Leaving decks on?

    Interesting guys, thanks. The Beta deck is the one I’m most concerned about, as it is key to my Kona-based system, but good stuff, thanks again!

  • Chris Poisson

    May 10, 2007 at 8:09 pm in reply to: DVD Dub while Capturing in FCP?

    Lisa,

    I have that exact Panasonic deck which I haven’t used in a couple of years. I could be talked into parting with it I suppose…

  • Chris Poisson

    May 9, 2007 at 4:43 pm in reply to: DVD Dub while Capturing in FCP?

    Jeff,

    If I read correctly, she wants to make the DVD at the same time she’s capturing the footage. How can she do that with iDVD?

  • Chris Poisson

    May 9, 2007 at 3:25 pm in reply to: how to capture analog video

    Another possibility is that your tape has breaks in it. It would fix it to dub to a DV tape and start anew.

  • Chris Poisson

    May 9, 2007 at 2:18 pm in reply to: DVD Dub while Capturing in FCP?

    Lisa,

    I don’t know about the anamorphic issue, but the DVD recorder is a great idea, I have an off-brand made by LG called Insignia which I got at Best Buy for 180 bucks, it also has a vhs player, and ALL of it plays through component out, plus it has Firewire in. This deck is so cool, it can record perfect DVDs from off-speed MiniDVs and even controls the camcorder feeding in. I’m sure you would not go wron with any DVD recorder with Firewire in, however FW will likely not work while FCP is capturing. The advice above for analog probably would.

  • Chris Poisson

    May 6, 2007 at 5:42 pm in reply to: 24p footage from DVX 100A

    Tito,

    You also could use Nattress Standards Converter to get ti 23.98 with that footage. But if you can reshoot with 24pa, that would be another good option.

Page 135 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy