Chris Poisson
Forum Replies Created
-
As an “older” G5 user (2gig dual) and with no plan to get a new Mac for the next few months at least, I have read about and implimented a practical approach to this whole Prores thing, at least in the short term.
No, I can’t capture it with my Kona LH. My capture needs are: from Beta SP via component, (pro res might actually work there, haven’t tried it yet) DVcam via component or Firewire, and HDV via component or Firewire. For the latter, there are a boatload of posts on this of late, and with all the opinions I still trust Graeme’s advice, work in native HDV, change the compressor to Prores when you’re done (or whatever) and render, deliver on tape or whatever. So all that’s missing right now with Prores is capture capability, but with the Media Manager, Compressor etc, if you want to work with Prores, you can convert it, and get on with it.
I’m not gonna slam Apple because we need to spend more to move forward, progress has ALWAYS cost money.
-
Hi Roger,
Yes, quite impressive, at first glance anyway. As you say, perhaps a lot more than FM, I plan on trying the demo at least. My only concern is how easy is it to time to sound, music etc. Otherwise, I suppose with a little folder planning for separate sequences, overall a huge timesaver and creative tool in FCP. Thanks!
-
Third endorsement here for Fotomagico, and my own take on image optimazation (Frame size/resolution recipe.)
For SD projects, this formula ALWAYS works: Tiff files at roughly twice your frame size at 72 dpi, period. Forget technical rationale, it will just work. You will minimize flicker and what you do get can easily be corrected with a little gaussian or vertical blur and//or the flicker filter. I have used this recipe on literally thousands of photos from every imaginable source and it always works.
If you notice, the poster with the new slideshow app above, his recipe for stills seems to be similar, will give his a try, but Fotomagico will be hard to beat for this.
BTW, one other thing if time and quality are an issue, I just shoot my stills with a digital camera, it’s days faster than any scanner and the quality is superb.
-
Jon,
Wow, that’s just superb, giving me all this detail. Thanks you so much! My camera is arriving today sometime soon, can’t wait to try all this.
-
I noticed it too and I hate it. We should be able to have control over this, just like mouse tracking speed. You call it a feature, I call it a pain in the ass.
-
“Bogie’s List of Stupid Features in FCP.” Now THAT’S a book (manual, LOL!!!) I would love to read.
-
Jonathon,
Could I trouble you for a more in-depth explanation of this? Yesterday I was trying to capture from a Z1 using component, running FCP Studio 2 on a G5 dual 2 gig, with a Kona LH.
Using the component out from the camera, please explain the settings including deck (camcorder) control, and what capture settings for a DVCproHD 1080i capture, and what happens with audio in a scenario like this?
BTW this was a rented camera, I have a Canon A1 on order, would settings be much different on that camera?
-
Michael,
The tapes I shot on the Z1 are all 1080i. So what I will want to be doing is work with them from my Canon A1 in the same format, if the dang thing ever gets here…
-
FYI my first attempts yesterday to capture to Prores failed miserably all the way around. Tried everything. This morning still no luck. I can capture 8 bit uncompressed 1080i, but no Prores anything. It really sucks. The machine (dual 2 gig with 4.5 gigs ram, SATA RAID 0) can’t keep up.
-
Now THAT is cool! Thanks!