Forum Replies Created

Page 126 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    June 12, 2007 at 5:34 pm in reply to: Best encode for widescreen DVD

    Read the 4th section of this for your first answer.

    https://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compressor_warmouth.html

    The short of it is usually yes, better quality, but it depends on many things, quality of your material, motion artifacts, effects, etc. To be honest, I have done a few tests using the from FCP method and FCP movies, so far I can’t tell the difference. And reference movies work just fine and provide the absolute fastest workflow.

    Second question, yes, the markers come over provided you have created them properly.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 12, 2007 at 4:57 pm in reply to: HDMI output

    Ernie,

    If you already have a video card of some kind, there are HDMI convertors which can come from SDI or DVI. Convergent Design and Blackmagic make some.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 12, 2007 at 4:31 pm in reply to: Best encode for widescreen DVD

    Cable Guy,

    To your last query, yes, just work in HD and send it to Compressor for a 16×9 SD DVD. It will take care of everything.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 12, 2007 at 3:35 pm in reply to: first HDV shoot…30P or 60i?

    You gave yourself the best advice. Shoot 60i with a high enough shutter speed to make it nice an crisp. Say at least a 60th. You can always futz with it later in Compressor or Media Manager.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 11, 2007 at 8:25 pm in reply to: first HDV shoot…30P or 60i?

    Hey Brian,

    I’m only just starting out with HDV too, probably read all the same posts, here’s where I have come out with it all.

    I’m using a Canon A1, shooting mostly 30p. At least for right now. I like the look better than 24p, it’s still progressive so it’s good for the Web, and you can use it just like 60i in FCP. No sweat at all.

    I’m capturing native HDV via Firewire, and using it in Prores and 8bit timelines. It goes down to SD just fine, you can scale it in an SD timeline or pan and scan it in an SD sequence after you edit 1080. If you put it in an SD timeline, FCP will add the switch fields filter, just let it do it’s thing.

    Only word of caution is there was a post down a ways from a guy who was having trouble with 30p from the V1, it seems FCP supports the Canon for this but is yet to be fixed for the Sony, dunno where this sits, sorry.

    But, in theory, 30p in a 60i FCP project works just fine. Did a job this way this weekend, worked great.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 11, 2007 at 11:58 am in reply to: How to do writing accents, please?

    The best way I’ve found of dealing with accents of any kind are to cut an paset from a word precessing app.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 9, 2007 at 3:17 pm in reply to: Lack of manuals revisited

    Nice try Steve,

    I’m all for saving a tree here and there, but seriously, I have better things to do with my time than tweaking my monitor and room lighting to make reading pdfs a better experience on-screen. Bulls__t. There’s no way I’m ever gonna like or cope with that. Plus, it takes up a goddamn screen for crying out loud! I WANT A BOOK!

    Apple, (or somebody) could use recycled paper, cheap, and print one-color 5×8 two-sided booklets that would be just great, on a plane, on the can, or at your desktop. Someone should just do this, and call them the “Earth-Conscious Missing Manuals.” Contact me for where to send my royaty checks for the idea.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 9, 2007 at 12:21 pm in reply to: Lack of manuals revisited

    Boy, I have to agree with Bret on this one. Reading PDF’s on-screen does suck big time, plus there’s no substitute for an open page on the desk next to you.

    Shane is right on about the ink costs, and as for third party cartriges at half cost, you get what you pay for, most I have used don’t work or the leak like crazy, and I’ve tried a few. Then there’s the time it take to print a 100+ page tome, and if you should happen to spill some water or soda on a page it’s toast.

    No I totally agree with Bret, the 4 or 5 manuals in the Studio package on FCP are a total waste, could easily have been a quarter of the amount, and for god’s sake, THEY could have printed the goddamn pdfs on decent paper in one color like every manual that comes with a camcorder or deck, and it would have SAVED them money, instead of those slick BS two color things. Amen Bret.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 9, 2007 at 12:11 pm in reply to: HD playout to DV

    Just one thing to add, when you make the DVD you can choose the widescreen option if you don’t want it to letterbox on widescreen sets.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 8, 2007 at 11:45 pm in reply to: JVC 720p30 downconversion to D1/BetaSP workflow

    George,

    I downloaded those and put them in a 29.97 DV NTSC timeline. I played them back to an NTSC monitor, they looked fine. What are you seeing?

Page 126 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy