Forum Replies Created

Page 125 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    June 17, 2007 at 1:30 pm in reply to: Making DV look better on a large display

    Yes to all of what Jay says. You’re not adding any detail, just enhancing edges and smoothing. In the process though, you are adding pixels. There are a couple of print programs that do this if that helps your understanding. PhotoZoomPro is the one I use, it uses “smart” algorithms to blow things up without losing much.

    With video though and a large screen, you still have to overcome the limitations of SD discs and tapes, because then you’re back to dealing with the same sized image you originally shot.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 16, 2007 at 11:45 pm in reply to: For David Roth Weiss

    James,

    You’ve answered your own question at least once in this thread, a gamma shift has to be a setup issue. Where exactly it’s happening for you I don’t know, but I have never had that problem with Compressor.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 16, 2007 at 11:41 pm in reply to: Making DV look better on a large display

    In theory, it’s the number of pixels more than the size of the display. I have this concern often with clients watching SD DVDs on HD screens. Nothing you can do while shooting can change the fact that you have 720×480 pixels to work with, and that’s it.

    Uprezing to an HD format would be the only fix I can think of, but your original footage would have to be really clean, certainly doable in an XL1, or any decent camera.

    If you are using an HDV or HD camera, you’d still have this problem with a standard DVD or SD tape, so even uprezing will only help if you go to a BlueRay DVD on an HD player. With SD, you’re screwed.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 15, 2007 at 4:36 pm in reply to: HD WorkFlow vs Hard Drives.

    enzo,

    A coincidence in that I was thinking about drives today in relation to HD production. It seems on the one hand a forgone conclusion that for HD anything you need the fastest arrays possible, but then, as you mention, with all the new codecs and whatnot, what are the REAL needs?

    I just recently upgraded to Studio 2, and got ProRes along with it, at the same time I got an HDV camera and started trying to figure out the best way to use it with all the new stuff.

    Speaking of ProRes, there are two papers here that are must-reads. But as things shook out for me, the best workflow is to capture HDV native via FireWier, and put it in a ProRes timeline. From there it can go out to anything, and only get one render hit in the process. Since your post is about drives, my 2 TB SATA RAID0 is more than fast enough so far.

    BTW, most folks here do not work with uncompressed HD in any flavor, from what I have seen, most have been working in DVCproHD, until now, that is!

  • Chris Poisson

    June 15, 2007 at 2:16 am in reply to: DV50 is Ruined in FCP 6

    Yikes! I have to revise a DV50 job I did last month, hope they haven’t upgraded yet!

  • Chris Poisson

    June 14, 2007 at 1:45 pm in reply to: Burnt in time code?

    That’s exactly what I need, perfect.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 13, 2007 at 10:51 pm in reply to: Burnt in time code?

    I just used the TC generator last week, on a nest which sits at 01000000 on my timeline. It starts at 00000000 and that’s what I wanted. If I put the TC reader on the same sequence, the TC starts at 00583000, which is what my timeline starts at, and not what I wanted at all. That’s why I said use the TC generator. Like braker said, it always starts at zero.

    Oh and BTW, no rendering was required with either one. But I don’t see what benefit it would have been for my purposes to use the reader.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 13, 2007 at 4:05 pm in reply to: Burnt in time code?

    Rafael,

    I think you mean the TC generator on a nest, no?

  • Chris Poisson

    June 12, 2007 at 6:36 pm in reply to: Spell check? Moooo!

    AHA! It’s gotta be the Safari 3 Beta I installed yesterday afternoon! Woohoo! Love it!

  • Chris Poisson

    June 12, 2007 at 6:32 pm in reply to: Nice XH A1 with a Big Problem

    Ron,

    Nothing you can do about the springs, but you could use some double stick tape and a couple pieces of carefully trimmed black foamcore to raise the rocker arm.

    Personally, this shortcoming doesn’t bother me, as I am trying not to zoom too much. We can’t use primes with this camera, but we can fake it pretty well if we think about it ahead of time.

Page 125 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy