Forum Replies Created

Page 122 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    July 3, 2007 at 11:06 am in reply to: Color shift; HDV export to QT from FCP (5)

    Hi David,

    I have the same camera, and a G5 dual 2.0. My rendered movies look great, you can see a couple at Revostock, or here: https://www.fisheyeedit.com/newstuff.html

    What is your workflow? What kind of movie are you rendering to? What is your final delivery to be?

    Most of my work is for SD delivery, or HD for the Web stuff as referenced above.

    This is what I’m doing:

    Capture native HDV (shot 30F BTW) work in ProRes timeline, render, and either scale or nest for SD, and for HD movies I render to either photo jpeg (for stock) ProRes or 8bit.

    I have been having great success with the ProRes timelines, color correction, effects text with alphas, everything works great. Never caused a crash, sometimes I’ll get dropped frames, but usually an audio mixdown fixes that.

    Perhaps your washed out look is resulting from a setup issue somewhere along the way. Check all your settings, including your video card if you have one.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 2, 2007 at 12:32 pm in reply to: KONA LHe HDV Hardware Acceleration?

    Bruce,

    If you have an Apple Cinema display or other large monitor, you already have a cheap monitoring solution, just go into the view menu in FCP and select ACD full screen. Your DVI port is quite capable of sending a great image.

    If you get a Matrox MXO, you can also calibrate the same monitor, but for viewing you can already do that.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 2, 2007 at 11:57 am in reply to: Compressor 3 can’t compress 1080p file?

    You didn’t mention what your sequence is, or what you shot. Your workflow could be adding to your woes, it might help to tell us the whole story.

    You can export directly from FCP as mentioned, but first I would try exporting a reference move in the same settings as you project, This will save you a lot of time. I don’t think you are gaining anything by exporting to photo jpeg, which is an unnecessary compression step.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 1, 2007 at 2:02 pm in reply to: 5 minute Quicktime to compress under 20 megs?

    Gordo,

    A major factor in the file size of these is the data rate. Every preset in Squeeze or Episode has set data rates but you can change them. You also can do this from QT Pro, set you data rate as fixed at around 400kbs, use 15 FPS, set quality to medium and you will get smaller files, Quality/pixelation is the tradeoff, depending on your effects and motion, you have to tweak it till you get the right balance. For audio use IMA 4:1 at 48K. This should put a 4.5 minute show somewhere around 20 megs.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 30, 2007 at 10:57 pm in reply to: FCP Rescue and FCP v6, not okay?
  • Opps! Typo, I meant to say DV.

  • Michael,

    Put your 720p timeline into a D1 timeline, crop or letterbox it, render and play in realtime via Firewire to your DSR11.

    FireWire is way better than composite or S video.

    This is the best way.

  • Audio does not have a frame rate, audio recorded with 29.97 FOOTAGE works just the same with any other frame rate. As long as you do no speed changes it should work fine.

  • Chris Poisson

    June 30, 2007 at 4:37 pm in reply to: AVCHD Success in FCP 6.0.1

    Tom,

    If you Google AVCHD you’ll get a boatload of info, Panasonic, Sony and Hitachi make these, and probably some others…

  • Chris Poisson

    June 29, 2007 at 10:45 pm in reply to: 8-bit uncompressed SD or ProRes(HQ) SD

    You can’t see any difference because going to 10 bit from 8 bit does not add quality. If smaller files are what you’re after, and you are unsure as to the demands of ProRes on your system, I would consider DVCPRO 50 or the Sheer codec.

    ProRes seems to work okay on my G5, but I haven’t really tested the HQ version in 1080i, but I do see some dropped frames, so I’m not betting the farm on it. I’m sticking with 8bit and DV50 for the time being.

Page 122 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy