Forum Replies Created

Page 316 of 403
  • Chris Borjis

    July 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm in reply to: Pro Apps Update 2007-01

    No I still can’t capture 720P over component with the update
    I wish I could.

    Walter can you capture 720P 60 with ProRes?

  • Chris Borjis

    July 3, 2007 at 4:04 am in reply to: HDV and Prores workflow suggestions

    Graeme,

    is it better (after capturing, editing in hdv)

    to change the codec to ProRes then render out,

    or just capture to hdv THEN change the codec
    of the sequence to ProRes so you NEVER render HDV?

  • Chris Borjis

    July 2, 2007 at 11:01 pm in reply to: Drive Tray opens on boot….why?

    no programs on startup.

    I may have an answer though, the 3 that do it have wireless keyboards and mice. The 1 that does not has regular wired input peripherals.

  • Chris Borjis

    July 2, 2007 at 4:52 pm in reply to: 8-bit uncompressed SD or ProRes(HQ) SD

    Rendering ProRes does take about 2/3 longer than uncompressed.

    But its so worth it.

  • Chris Borjis

    July 2, 2007 at 4:50 pm in reply to: FCP just won’t open

    trash prefs

  • Chris Borjis

    June 30, 2007 at 4:37 am in reply to: 8-bit uncompressed SD or ProRes(HQ) SD

    I use ProRes HQ SD on a daily basis.

    To and from Digibeta, BetaSP and DV

    Prior to this it was 10-bit uncompressed all the time.
    The savings in disk space is excellent

  • Chris Borjis

    June 29, 2007 at 3:53 pm in reply to: long render times in FCP 6 wi Dual quad core Mac

    [lasvideo] “it has not been mentioned in any of the Apple Software Update Notes so I will not be surprised if rendering is still problematic.”

    No change at all unfortunately.

  • Chris Borjis

    June 29, 2007 at 3:46 pm in reply to: iPhone FCP

    ARGH, motion files still render slow on the iphone!

  • [Bill in Toronto] “1. In your experience which is the best type of original media for creating a DVD intended for mass production and potentially glass mastering? e.g. DVD-R; DVD+R, et al.

    Verbatim
    Verbatim
    Did I mention Verbatim? 😉

    Others may debate this but I find DVD-R to be the most
    compatible and I author tens of hundreds of unique titles each year.

    For discs going in for replication source, burn at the lowest
    speed possible to keep the errors down to a minimum and burn
    at least 2 of them to send in case they have problems with one

    2. Is there a brand of DVD media which is more reliable than others. (I’ve generally used Ridata.)

    See #1
    I used Ridata/Ritek for 4 years. They were great reliable media.
    Recently they’ve taken a turn for the worse, I had more bad discs
    (good discs gone bad and way less compatible)recently. the quality control clearly went south and for a few cents more you can have ultra
    reliable Verbatims.

    3. I have well over a GIG of RAM and no difficulty in playing an authored DVD without stuttering. However, some clients have older pc systems with CRT monitors, age unknown. They complain about the following:

    a. Colour of some animation displayed on their monitor is too dark. (Just fine on my Samsung 713v or my NEC MultiSync LCD 1700v.)

    b. Either the DVD stutters on the computer right from the beginning (but never on my system or my standalone Toshiba player); or after playing several selections, there is stuttering.”

    Don’t worry about monitor levels, most peoples monitors are way
    out of wack, have worn out phosphors that can’t pump out the
    contrast like they used to. Flat panels are always brighter
    so just make sure it looks right on your various displays YOU test
    them on.

    to minimize stuttering:

    ALWAYS encode the audio with Dolby .ac3 at 256kbps, any less
    doesn’t sound quite as nice to me at least, any more is overkill.

    Encode your video so that your average or constant bit rate is between 5 and 6.5mbps Never go beyond 7mbps unless your replicating. DVD-R media has almost no error correction and can’t handle the full DVD bandwidth potential set top & pc players. Replicated can.

    Here endith the lesson. 🙂

  • Chris Borjis

    June 29, 2007 at 4:24 am in reply to: Need a good DVD video recorder

    not sure there is one with audio levels.

    what I do for that is use and old tape deck with led display
    route the signal through that (it shouldn’t degrade if its a good one)

    The best DVD set top recorders available are from Panasonic though
    I hear the Pioneer’s are good too.

Page 316 of 403

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy