Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
Bret Williams
January 2, 2007 at 6:07 am in reply to: Timeline shows one thing, but the audio playing is different!!!!!! HUH?!!You think all imported audio should be 48khz? You should look into item level rendering. I think you’ll find it quite an efficient time-saving addition they made to the program 3 years ago.
-
Bret Williams
January 2, 2007 at 1:41 am in reply to: Timeline shows one thing, but the audio playing is different!!!!!! HUH?!!I have seen some weirdness lately when I use an mp3 file. Even if it’s rendered. Usually just stop and hit play again.
-
Just start playing with it. And if you can’t figure out a function, just look in the menus. Yes, that’s right, in FCP the functions are also included in the menus! (many avid keystrokes you just have to “know” – I guess it adds to the mystique.)
The raw editing tools of FCP is pretty similar to Avid. digitizing, bins, timeline, source window, record window, etc. It’s the little stuff you’ll have to pick up. When I switched I just started editing my demo and some family vids.
-
Wow, they charge more for their RAM than Apple! I’ve heard good things about Crucial and OWC (mentioned earlier).
I found this one… https://www.memorytogo.com anyone have any experience with them? By far the best price so far.
-
Media Manager has always had the ability to actually delete the unused media from the actual quicktimes and relink, without copying the quicktimes. Quite amazing actually. But quite dangerous. The only time I’ve used it was after a project was done and output. I wanted to keep it on the system for a while, so I did it. It was actually with the very first version of Media Mangaer. It worked. But another time it got fouled up half way through, and I was left with nothing. A fouled project, and half fouled QTs.
-
Bret Williams
December 27, 2006 at 4:43 am in reply to: Windows become Transparent after moving or using itemsThat’s the power management button, and if your computer is running, the pmu probably has nothing to do with it. If you mess with the pmu, read everything you can. If you hold this button too long, you can truly screw things up.
-
Bret Williams
December 26, 2006 at 7:35 pm in reply to: Windows become Transparent after moving or using itemsAre you running windowshade by Unsanity? That’s the only control panel I know of to make windows transparent. Might need to update version or turn it off if you are.
-
You’re losing render files because you’re using them cross-project. While harmless, it can get annoying. Rendering in FCP never uses a render file as a source for another render. Although I certainly wish it would. This is key to working speedily and creatively and FCP have failed to realize it. There’s nothing like rendering a huge stack of layers for 30 minutes, only to add one more layer and and be forced to render again. Kinda ridiculous.
On your project(s), if you made one big project and then divided the other projects into folders and sub folders you wouldn’t lose the renders. As you edit and save in a project, FCP deletes the render file for good from the cache. It has no way of knowing another project has a link to that file. Ditto goes with other media management like deleting “unused” media. If that media is used for another project, FCP has no way of knowing that. Maybe someday, but I sure wouldn’t put it high on their priority list. These are issues with any non-linear or creative application.
-
Photoshop Elements? It’s about $75 bucks at costco / sams. mac or pc.
-
[walter biscardi] “Why are you capturing video from broadcast anyway? Do you own the rights to it?”
Sheesh calm down. I guess you don’t own a tivo or VCR?