Forum Replies Created

Page 581 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    May 20, 2007 at 5:48 pm in reply to: from 5 to 6

    And to answer the question, yes it will remove the older versions, unless you rename them or possibly lock them. You should be able to run 5 and 6 on the same machine if you like. I’ve done it before with 3 and 4 or maybe 4 & 5.

  • Bret Williams

    May 20, 2007 at 5:46 pm in reply to: FCP to AE then back to FCP

    RGB is only going to affect rendered material. So that might work if EVERYTHING on your timeline is going to get rendered in some way. However, I’d bet that AE and FCP still come up with different looks since they’re diffrerent render engines after all.

    I would just export native files to your artist – which would be the best quality you can give them. Have them do their thing, and if you have such a color shift you can either fix it with a dissolve or color correct the files you get back from the AE artist.

  • Bret Williams

    May 20, 2007 at 5:41 pm in reply to: Most bit for the buck Raid

    MIrroring for video content does seem like an odd idea. Just make sure all the material on your drive is TC based and you can always recapture. Anything else I put on the system or another drive.

    It’s actually the OTHER drives that you’d really want to mirror imo. The ones with project files, photoshop files, documents, emails, etc.

  • Bret Williams

    May 20, 2007 at 3:52 pm in reply to: Most bit for the buck Raid

    I just finished editing P2 DVCProHD 720P 24fps @ 29,97 on a SmartDisk Firelite connected (including power) via FW 400 to my Mac Pro. The project is also on the drive. Not a single solitarty dropped frame. And dissolves were realtime.

    I didn’t really expect the little drive to perform like that, but I was very impressed! Given this was just some broll cuts. Wasn’t trying to do any layers or anything.

  • Bret Williams

    May 19, 2007 at 4:16 am in reply to: AppleTv quality on DVD

    [tyshpix] “What I had done was I exported it straight from final cut as a QT conversion for AppleTV, just for a way to quickly get it ready to compress to mpeg2.”

    Wait… you exported your file as .m4v for AppleTV, then ran that through another conversion process to Mpeg2 and then burned it on a DVD and you’re wondering why the DVD didn’t look as good as the .m4v? Maybe because it was a generation down and using a lesser compression codec? Hopefully I misunderstood, but the proper way to create your mpg2 would be to export a quicktime movie (no conversion or recompression) and then open that in compressor to create the mpeg2.

    Or just drag the quicktime right into DVD SP and let it create the QT. It does a great job, but only supports aiff audio so you don’t get the audio compression. No biggie, just eats up space on the disk.

  • Bret Williams

    May 17, 2007 at 3:05 am in reply to: Nesting Question

    Open the new nest, copy the 10 minutes you want. Paste into a new nest. Edit the new nest into your sequence or wherever you want.

    A nest is just like a clip. Just because you cut it up or out doesn’t make the rest of the clip/nest disappear. If you want a nest of just the 10 minues, you have to create a new nest of the 10 minutes.

  • Just change the scale back to 100%. FCP doesn’t actually “import” anything. It simply links to things. Your graphic hasn’t changed. Just the scale. It’s a convenience feature that’s desired most of the time. Just change the scale to 100%.

  • Bret Williams

    May 10, 2007 at 5:08 pm in reply to: FCS2/FCP6

    Gosh, let me go on record as saying all footage will work in FCP 6. All footage from FCP 1 still works in FCP 5. I’ve never seen a quicktime format be discarded as software upgrades.

  • Bret Williams

    May 7, 2007 at 3:14 am in reply to: Shots used indicator?

    Careful of nested sequences. It won’t see those clips in the cmd+f (find) method. So don’t go deleting unused without being sure.

  • Bret Williams

    May 5, 2007 at 2:11 am in reply to: Blank track selection

    Why don’t 3D apps act like FCP? That way when I use software I don’t understand it would be easier for me. FCP doesn’t have a camera to dolly. FCP isn’t a 3D app. It works like a video editing app. The zoom tools are very powerful and very easy to use. There’s also a large number of ways to zoom.

Page 581 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy