Forum Replies Created

Page 582 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    May 5, 2007 at 2:08 am in reply to: Blank track selection

    if you have your mouse over the “time” part of the sequence, the scroll whell scrubs. Same ion canvas and viewer. Otherwise, it scrolls up and down just like any other window. I guess you don’t use many tracks.

  • Bret Williams

    May 4, 2007 at 9:02 pm in reply to: FCP 5.1.4 new Render Engine???

    You’ll notice that the fx I mentioned don’t show up in the G5 versions of 5.1.2 or greater. Just on the intels. Don’t know why.

  • Bret Williams

    May 4, 2007 at 3:53 am in reply to: FCP 5.1.4 new Render Engine???

    FCP 5 has a new render engine. Almost 2 years ago now. There are 3 levels of motion rendering for a sequence. See the sequence settings.

    If you’re running 5.1.4 on an intel machine, there are lots of new filters that render very quickly. They are brought over from Motioin I think. In fact, many of them are touted as new to version 6, which is confusing considering I’ve been using the filters since January when I first used the intel box.

    Filters include Glow and Light Rays effects.

  • Bret Williams

    May 4, 2007 at 3:04 am in reply to: render files as actual media files

    The render files are absolutely useable as stand alone files. They simply quicktime files. However, they have no knowledge of timecode or reel numbers or any of that. So I wouldn’t put them in my capture scratch. Capture scratch should be reserved for timecode material. It just makes life simpler. Treat any render files you use as stand alone files as animation files from your graphic artist. Back them up the same way. And you’ll need to remove them from the render folder or else they will potentially get deleted by fcp. Put them in a separate folder on the same hard drive as your capture scratch and render folders.

  • Bret Williams

    May 4, 2007 at 3:01 am in reply to: Blank track selection

    The zoom tool zooms to where you marquee or click the zoom tool. How would the keyboard do that? It does it by zooming to your selection, or if you have nothing selected, to your playhead. Seems pretty straightforward to me. I’m just ticked off at Apple changing the keyboard shortcuts for no good reason. I mean, cmd+d has no default. Why remove it? Why not leave it along with shift+cmd+a?

    Anyway, another tip… If you inadvertently zoom to a selection and you wanted to zoom to the playhead, just press the left or right arrow key. That’ll bring you right to your playhead. Seems obvious, but many people don’t think of it and start scrolling left and right trying to figure out where they are.

  • Bret Williams

    May 3, 2007 at 10:22 pm in reply to: Edit in Animation Codec ?

    IMHO – A horrible idea. To each his own. But can’t stand working with sequential files. A pain to keep up with, eats all your ram for breakfast, and a media management nightmare too. They require nesting to do speed effects or just keep them in general order. Yuck.

  • Bret Williams

    May 3, 2007 at 9:16 pm in reply to: Blank track selection

    Well, you can map any key command you want to “deselect all” or you can use the preset one shift+cmd+a. The latter is utterly stupid, and ticks me off every time I’m on someone elses system because for 4 or 5 years the command was cmd+d, which is the same as photoshop for deselect all. Then, one version Apple changed it. They didn’t even replace cmd+d with anything else. So, now that cmd+d is imprinted in my DNA, I have to either learn a THREE key command or remap this key everytime I’m on a different system than my own.

    So to answer your question, before I zoom I press cmd+d to ensure that the zoom is to the playhead, and not a selection. But you’ll have to map cmd+d to deselect all first. Or use the idiotic shift+cmd+A. To zoom by the way, press cmd++/-.

    Or you can use the more Avid like zoom marquee which is the quickest most accurate way. Press z, then draw a square around the area you like ot zoom to.

    When you’re done, press shift+z to zoom all the way back out.

    That’s pretty much how I work. I go from all the way out, scrub, and then zoom in. I don’t ever touch that god awful slider thing below the timeline. That’s for producers to play with. 🙂

  • Bret Williams

    May 3, 2007 at 8:31 pm in reply to: Edit in Animation Codec ?

    I guess you need alpha channel? Otherwise you’d be better off using a codec supported by your system like a standard 8 bit uncompressed codec. Animation is a compressed format.

  • Bret Williams

    May 3, 2007 at 8:28 pm in reply to: 4 Sep audio channels out

    In the audio mixer, far left column with the tracks listed, right click on each track and map them to the channels you want.

    So you’ve got the sequence set up. You also need to set up the audio/video settings prefs for all of FCP as well.

  • Bret Williams

    May 3, 2007 at 3:30 am in reply to: Adding a filter to clips in browser

    ? Of course it works. Simply open the clip in the viewer and click on the filter tab, then drag the filter to the viewer. Every time you use that clip, it’ll have that filter preapplied.

    I guess it’s an ok idea if you’re doing some sort of pre color correction, but since most filters are applied in context with other clips, it seems kinda pointless to me. Never even thought about using it.

Page 582 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy