The Cal Digit S2VR will absolutely do 10 bit uncompressed HD, in the 5 drive configuration. Other manufacturers, like Sonnet, will do uncompressed HD with 10 drives (as will the CalDigit), but if budget is a concern, the CalDigit is the only 5 drive SATA II array that will perform at these speeds.
With that said, most people are dealing with DVCProHD, HDV, DNx220, and other compressed HD formats, that do not require the 230mb/sec that the 5 drive CAL Digit S2VR will do. If you put two 5 drive bays onto a SATA card (Sonnet or CalDigit) and stripe all 10 together RAID 0, you will get over 450mb/sec – far exceeding what 1080i HD-SDI uncompressed demands. YES, this is dramatically faster than a 14 drive Apple XServe RAID.
The Ciprico HUGE Systems fibre channel arrays are amazing, the customer support is superior, and the only bad thing I have to say about them is that they cost more than the SATA products on the market today.
Bob Zelin (I couldn’t think of anything nasty to say, but I will work on it).