Forum Replies Created
-
All I can say is wow! and shazam!! This is why I don’t miss CRTs!
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
On the film I’m working on, we had a problem with 24bit audio files opening in ProTools as pink noise. This was a big problem because all of the production sound had been recorded as 24 bit on a Deva recorder. When I exported the same timeline as a 16 bit OMF, the problem disappeared.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
[ixthus27] “I know that two of the editors doing the same work that I will be doing are making $65+ plus a benefits package. They have about 6 years with the company, which is significant, I know. “
Plus how many years of experience before that? I doubt they walked in there with no prior experience in the field.
Also, what happens if the show doesn’t get picked up for a 2nd season? Will you be 1st in line for the next show they pitch?
-
[David Roth Weiss] ” always have to know, “what’s the objective, what’s the big picture?” Directors hate it when I ask ’em that stuff.”
I’m always annoying my clients by asking “What’s the story?” or “What’s this scene about? Is it about the star of the movie, or is it about the cool visual effect that you want in the background?” Pi$$es them off to no end.
-
Right click on the AE file in your Motion timeline & choose “Reveal Source Media”. That will open it in the inspector, & open the media tab. At the top of the inspector is a pulldown menu for the alpha channel. Toggle it between straight & premult to see wich one works.
-
That should read $2k-$4k for a monitor. I forgot about the Panasonic plasmas, which are a very good value if you don’t need to do color correction.
-
1st, you may want to raise your budget.
You’re talking about getting a Kona card for a Mac that’s already 2 or 3 years old, and is based on PCI-X architecture. Any cards you put into this Mac will not be compatable with your next Mac. You should probably upgrade to a Mac Pro, which is based on PCI-e architecture. Don’t forget to put about 4GB (or more) of memory in the new Mac.
You don’t mention an HD monitor. That’s going to run you another $3k-$5k.
And I’d go with a big (as big as you can afford) SATA array rather than any firewire based drives.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
[mellogrfx] “I have tripled check ALL my settings and the IO still digitizes at 720×486…WHY?”
Because it’s supposed to. According to SMPTE, the NTSC, the ITU, etc, NTSC D1 video is 720X486, not 640X480. There’s an explination of anamorphic vs square pixels in your FCP manual.
IOW, your Io is acting correctly & conforming to industry standards & specs.
-
[Borjis] “I would make a timecoded window dub DVD for the person to make notes on and go from that.”
Which would have the same problem as using timeline markers. Once you make a change to the 1st one, all of your TC references are no longer valid.
The simplest thing is to work backwards. Have boss #1 mark up the timeline, then have boss #2 work from the last mark to the 1st mark.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
FCP media files are quicktimes. They just have a different icon, and don’t usually have the .mov extension. Try right clicking on a file & choose “Batch Capture”.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog