Forum Replies Created
-
[Chris Messineo] “Any idea, why this works and why the normal way doesn’t?”
This is one of those arcane non-square pixels to square pixel things. The freeze fame in the viewer thinks it’s an uncompressed, full raster 1280X720 with square pixels, and that’s how it exports to QT. When you export from your DVCPro HD timeline, it’s exporting from a timeline that’s 960X720 anamorphic pixels, and it exports to QT as 960X720 square pixels, but without squeezing it, causing the jaggies.
This is something I noticed when I started working with DVCPro HD last year. If I tried to render a shot out of Motion or Shake using native DVCPro 720 settings, I got the same exact jaggie artifacts. When I switched all these project settings to square pixel, 1280X720 and rendered to the DVCPro 720 codec, I got perfect results.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
OK, I finally had a minute to look at the still you posted. My immediate response was that this artefacting is from the horizontal scaling of DVCPro HD. Sure enough, I see you’re using DVCPro HD.
Here’s 2 ideas to try- I don’t know if either will work, & I’m not on an FCP 6 system to try them on.
1- Park your playhead over a frame and type Shift-N to make a freeze frame in the viewer. Export a still from the viewer.
2- Make an empty timeline set to 720, uncompressed 8 or 10 bit. In your working timeline, park the playhead over a frame and double click to load it into the viewer, then edit that shot into the empty timeline. Export a still from there.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Both of those links are to the same image.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Not to mention what kind of look you’re after. If you don’t want a particularly crisp, clean look, it’s possible to do quite an interesting job in software.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
You cannot “improve” the quality of the original. You can scale it up in a way to not lose any quality, but your SD material will never match good HD material in quality.
IOW if you scale it up using the best methods, it will never be as sharp as if it had been shot as HD in the 1st place. And if the focus is soft or the exposure is off, then it will just be a bigger picture with soft focus or bad exposure.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
If you read the license for most stock footage collections, you’ll see that it’s typically licensed to you for use in your productions for your clients. They tend to specifically prohibit re-editing that stock footage from those finished pieces into other pieces.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
If you want to stretch your budget, look for a used tripod. You’d be amazed what may be sitting in the used department of your local pro camera & video store. Or your local pawn shop. Not to mention eBay.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Here you go! Make your own:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Laptop-Sleeve-from-a-FedEx-Envelope/Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
I didn’t know that before, sorry if i was a bit short with you. But as you pointed out, it’s on the block for the future. You don’t need to do everything all at once, but as each system or subsytem gets replaced, it might make sense to ugrade that specific system. Just try to keep your options open.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
My pleasure. I think you’ll have the most flexibility with this combo.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog