Forum Replies Created
-
[Ken Niblock] “I can’t give specific files formats because we supply these files to hundreds of end users. If we customized to each end users desires we would would loose our selves in the process!”
It would have been good to have said that in your original post.
I would never want to be supplied with MPEG-2 material for editing. It may be a great delivery format, but it’s a pain for editing, and quite a lot of color & image data is lost in the encoding process.
If it’s not practical to supply tapes or original source media, consider using Quicktime’s Photo-JPEG codec. You’ll get very good quality at reasonably small file sizes, and you can leave your media at it’s full raster size. You’ll notice that stock agencies like Corbus & Artbeats use P-JPEG for their stock disks, not MPEG-2.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
[Ken Niblock] “I have asked a question about providing files for editors and have been given the advice of this MPEG2 file – I do not know if it is like a normal MPEG2 file or is different.”
As an editor, I would never want a client to give me an MPEG2 file. Why don’t you ask the editors in question what format they want, and simply give them that. Or better still, give them the original source tapes. If you’re shooting tapeless, give them a copy of the original media. End of story.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
August 22, 2008 at 6:12 pm in reply to: sending clips from FCP to Motion for Optical Flow without wasting my life…[Roberto Serrini] “DOES ANYONE, A-N-Y-O-N-E, HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO DO THIS? “
I do. And if you would read your manuals, you would too.
[Roberto Serrini] “Not analyze the entire 28 minute master clip when Im only using 2 seconds of it.”
Sorry, but that’s the way it works. If you need to analyze less, you have to give it less. There have been volumes written on this forum about the wondrous beauties of logging your tapes in usable chunks. This is yet another reason. It might also be possible for you to, maybe, export a section. Your FCP manual tells you how to do this, so I won’t bother.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
[Rafael Amador] “As you say the support for the EX-1 is from FC 6 on, but it was already support for XDCAM since FC 5.1.4 Probably the Transfer software update the codecs too. “
EX-1 & EX-3 footage are different from the rest of the XDCam family. The 330 & 350 cameras that use the original XDCam HD codec are anamorphic 1440X1080. The EX 1&3 are full raster 1920X1080. Now, I don’t know if FCP 5/1/4 is compatible with that or not, I no longer have it installed & can’t check, but I thought it’s worth pointing out.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
[Mike Cohen] “It is actually pretty amazing how low tech the original Star Wars was, versus how incredible it looked on film. To think that movie was made for like 11 million dollars! “
I often say the same thing about Merian C. Cooper’s original King Kong. This is still the yardstick that I use to measure any FX heavy film against. I like to say that the 18″ high doll is the best actor in the film!
In the case of both Kong & Star Wars, the VFX are beautifully integrated into the telling of the story, which is often not the case with FX heavy films. A tribute as much to the genius of the crews of Willis O’Brien & ILM as it is the the rest of the people who worked on these films.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
[Chris Arnold] “So I have the old Final Cut Stodio, version 5.0.4 . I am working on a intel macbookpro, and I don’t have the universal upgrade for this version of Final cut, so I am asumming it is running with rosetta.”
You really need to go buy the upgrade to FCP 6. 5.0.x is not supported on Intel hardware, and FCP is not supported on Rosetta. If you want it to work, your best bet is to upgrade to FCS2/FCP6.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
The HVX does not accept external TC. If you need to sync them, you should use a something like clapper or camera strobe.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Or give them away to a school… Either way they won’t go to waste.
I think that it would be more of a waste to try to kluge together two different generations of technology in a way that would be guaranteed for poor performance.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
It looks interesting… But…
The idea (from the first example) that you would poorly expose your video, but perfectly expose your high res stills… Let’s face it, the same sh*t head working both cameras is probably going to make the same stupid mistake. And most consumer quality digital still cameras offer you little to no opportunity to change this.
The HDR example looks quite intriguing, though. As does the automagical removal of a sign from in front of flowers. And the increase in resolution looks, quite frankly, too good to be true.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Honestly, I think this is achieved mainly in camera, and then advanced in post.
Lighting, composition and camera settings will get you waaaay farther than anything you can do in post alone.
To be fair, though, you can do quite a lot in post, especially in unifying and smoothing out the overall look of a film. And if you have the time & expertise (or time & money to hire the expertise), you can certainly change the look of a scene or film.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/