Forum Replies Created
-
Dave,
Ivars’ interest here is quite specific to the News field and as such his best solution is not necessarily a studio based one. For field recording the tower + I/O card + mixer option is not so suitable .. and he’s also noted that he is already using such a solution where applicable. The software just doesn’t do quite what he wants. Hopefully he will submit his feedback (politely) to Apple, and they will listen and enhance the VO tool accordingly. Heck, he may have been a bit if a jerk in the manner he comported himself in this thread but everyone has a bad day and its too easy for these things to spin out of control… the basic feature he’s looking for would be a useful one to many.
Best
Andy -
hmmm … garbage in garbage out usually applies Enrico, but if its really bad then you might give this one a try
https://www.neatvideo.com/examples.htmlthat said, for factual programming, if the content is compelling enough then folks will normally accept it as is
-
Gee, thanks a lot “buddy” … so because I didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear then I don’t know what I’m talking about? Nice.
>WHY is there a headphone regulation toggle?
I didn’t answer that particular question Ivars as I had thought it was self evident and instead tried to help you with what seemed to be the real crux of your question (that being how to hear your own voice through the headphones whilst recording the VO). My heartfelt apologies that my help was not to your satisfaction, I shall never forgive myself …
Still I guess what may seem self evident to me is not necessarily so to you so here goes nothing:
Its a control to vary the headphone volume. Yes, obviously the same could be achieved using the system volume controls, or via an outboard mixer, but Apple also put a control directly in the VO Tool interface to allow user a quick and easy means to adjust the tool specific headphone volume wthout affecting the overall system level.
This control/function, as with many, is of course entirely useless to some users and simultaneously invaluable to others. Is there perhaps any other tools that you would have Apple remove because you don’t personally use them?
-
David
An EDL will not contain this information but FCP’s XML representation of the sequence will (File > Export > XML) … if you are not familiar with the XML structure then it may not be as readable as you might wish, an XML browser/editor such as OxygenXML (https://www.oxygenxml.com/) or even just the QuickLook plugin ColorXML may help (https://www.araneum.it/macosx/ last item on the page)
Cheers
Andy -
and I ask folks for MP4 all the time too (multipass unscaled H264)
-
Hey Steven
DVCPRO HD’s maximum saturated datarate is 100 Mb/s (little b) which is Megabits per second .. there’s 8 of those to every MegaByte (big B) so if its maxed out then its 12.5 MB/s (Megabytes per second).
If your frame size and frame rate is only 720p24 then you’ll not be maxing out the codec datarate so you may well see the lower datarates you’re reporting … that said I’m not using DVCPROHD or 720 HD framesizs so beyond the theory I can’t be certain the specific datarate your seeing is necessarily typical.
Hope its helpful
Andy -
Ivars, you are of course entitled to your opinion but nonetheless its quite a jump between the VO Tool not working as you would prefer for your professional VO artist needs, and the entire non-linear video editing application being junk. I personally use the SoundDevices USBPre for field use in recording voice tracks for my edits. In a studio based environment I use professional audio recording hardware and software.
For what its worth, I would like the ability to monitor incoming talent voice mixed with timeline audio (and to control that mix) in the VO tool, and have long since requested it using Apple’s Feedback system … but that said, there are many other video editing based functions, features and fixes I’d like to see first.
Best
Andy -
hey Ivars
as Walter’s noted, the headphone volume slider is there to allow you to adjust the timeline audio level to the headphones (it is automatically assumed you are using headphones else you’d get feedback through the mic / speaker loop); the toggle there is for sound cues ie the beeps that alert you as you approach the beginning and end of the marked recording range.
there’s currently no way directly in FCP to monitor both the mic audio and timeline audio simulatneously, for that you would need an appropriately configured outboard mixer, or as noted, an audio interface that provides such a function.
hope that explains it better
Andy -
Hi Ivars
What you are experiencing is the normal functionality of FCP’s Voice Over Tool … it is just the way it works.
If you need to be able to hear a mix of timeline audio together with talent voice then you might want to consider using a recording interface with direct support for such a feature, something like a SoundDevices USBPre, or perhaps the more affordable M-Audio FastTrack USB.
Hope it helps
Andy