Forum Replies Created

Page 278 of 333
  • [Bill Davis] “Studio features and episodic TV have traditionally been the top of the heap. But I noted some months back the story of an extremely sharp and camera friendly young intern who works on the local TV show where my wife does a regular segment who literally dismissed an offer to go on salary at the TV station because she just didn’t feel TV was the place to be. She wanted a career in web development because she was firmly convinced that’s where the eyeballs of her generation were largely going to be served over her lifetime. Broadcast had no “cachet” for her.”

    I think there’s a difference between broadcast/cable/sat as a delivery medium and content that is typically found on broadcast/cable/sat. The delivery medium, not the content, is what’s on shifting ground. People what the content they just want it more on their terms.

    Netflix, Hulu and YouTube are all trying to create ‘broadcast quality’ (for lack of a better term) original content because they know that’s what they have to do to compete. Hulu is way, way, way more profitable than YouTube even though Hulu does a fraction of the traffic because Hulu has the premium content that people will pay/watch ads for. Ad before a skate video? No thanks. Ad before 30 Rock, I’m okay w/that.

    Is the moving picture landscape broadening out more than ever? Yes. But that expansion isn’t going to replace the movies and episodic shows that people want. As a content creator I’m really not worried about this at all. I mean, do I really care if I’m working on an original series for Netflix or an original series for network TV? Now, if I wasn’t a content creator but a ‘traditional’ content distributor then I’d be a bit more worried about what’s going on. But, hey, I just want people to watch my docs and I really don’t care if it’s via iTunes, Amazon, on DVD, cable, sat, whatever. I’m platform agnostic I guess.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • Really not coming out w/your best foot forward, Mike. 😉

    First off, Mark, the guy you bashed, never bashed Carsten. Secondly, Mark is one of the most level headed, pragmatic people here. Finally, you call out the Coen Brothers for being trailblazers, yet Mark moved Bunim/Murray (the same company you kept bashing) from Avid to FCP years ago at a time when no one thought FCP was up to the task. In an unscripted world ruled by Avid, Mark and his team showed that FCP could excel in a very demanding environment (100+ seats, thousands of hours of footage, etc.,) on broadcast deadlines.

    If you want to thank people for pushing boundaries and taking chances when other people are going “Oh, that’s never going to work” you need to be thanking people like Mark.

    As an aside, IMO, if any film editor should get credit for pioneering with FCP it should be Walter Murch.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • For companies that make products for the backbone of broadcast delivery I certainly think that future growth really is not in that area but in non-broadcast or IP-based delivery.

    That’s different though than ‘broadcast quality’ content (and I use the term loosely). I mean, there is still very high demand for the content that is being broadcast via OTA signals, cable, etc., but people want more flexibly in how, when and where they watch the content. As a content creator, as an editor, I’m happy to have more distribution methods available and I’m not worried that broadcast/cable/satellite isn’t the only delivery method in town anymore.

    Slightly OT, this is one reason why I wonder what the future holds for Blackmagic and why I question the suggestions that BM buy Avid. I feel like that would be a lateral move for Avid as they would still be tied to specific, niche hardware which is something that is becoming a bit of an albatross around their neck. Unless of course BM starts a whole new line of successful cameras and then MC will just come as part of the bundle!

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm in reply to: Insanely Simple the book and Steve Jobs.

    [Michael Gissing] “But by having one package that had to meet a simple cost point model it meant Apple were never going to spend time improving integration. If they had embraced a more expensive version and used the price difference to develop the integration properly it would have meant they could have dropped Color from a more basic edit package and perhaps made a cheaper version a la FCPX.”

    I think this is where we differ. Even if Apple had a separate package for Color I don’t think the end result would’ve been any different than what we got. Apple could’ve done a number of things but they didn’t and I think think having Color as part of the suite tied anyone’s hands. I won’t beat the dead horse named Shake anymore, but Final Cut Server was kept separate and got so little love that almost everyone I talked to thought it was an actual server. I had to explain to them that it was an asset management tool… and then what an asset management tool was good for.

    Apple’s attention was elsewhere (iOS/iDevices & FCPX) which is why even the the upgrade from the FCP6 suite to the FCP7 suite was so lackluster, IMO. Looking back I think Color (which made complete sense to me after I watched Walter Biscardi’s training DVD) was a hail mary pass to keep the FCP Suite interesting as Apple let it die on the vine.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 1, 2012 at 4:58 am in reply to: Insanely Simple the book and Steve Jobs.

    [Michael Gissing] “The two things that constantly come up with FCS3 is that for editors it was complicated and for finishing people like me that it was poorly integrated. So the irony is that choosing simplicity of packaging and pricing meant that a proper finishing tool which people would have paid extra for couldn’t be developed and complications for editors who didn’t need that amenity couldn’t be simplified.”

    I dunno. It’s not like just the inclusion of Color in the box made FCP, or any of the other apps more complicated to use. And while the round trip between FCP and Color was certainly fragile (especially Color 1.0.x) it was obviously good enough to help create a ‘desktop-colorist’ movement that led to Resolve and pretty nifty Baselight plugin being offered at price mere mortals could afford.

    I think Jobs decision to keep the packages together stays in line w/the simplicity of having everything in one box. The Final Cut Suite wasn’t always a suite so I’m not surprised Jobs wanted to keep the product line streamlined. Of course now FCPX, Motion and Compressor are all separate apps so WTF do I know…

    Even if he did decided to offer Color as a separate item I doubt any more effort would’ve been put into it. Given Apple’s history w/Shake, not much being done with Final Cut Server, DVD SP remaining at version 4 since ’05 and Color only going from 1.0 to 1.5 during its Apple lifespan they’ve shown time and time again that they’ll make what the want to make and the customer can take it or leave it.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • I like how neither position is ‘wrong’ yet if you fully embrace X you are ‘elevating’ where as if you haven’t fully embraced X you are struggling and have a victim mentality.

    Your right Bill, same ole, same ole.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • I use I/O marks on clips kinda like a ‘hold on one second’ type of mark. I don’t need a marker, a favorite or a sub clip I just need to hold my place for a second while I briefly go look at something else and come back.

    Having the I/O marks disappear to me is like a tabbed browsing environment where every time you move to another tab the tab you just left would automatically scroll back up to the top of the page. Imperfect analogy, but aren’t they all…

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • Andrew Kimery

    April 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm in reply to: No Convergence of iOS & OS X

    [Jeremy Garchow] ”
    Don’t worry, the internet will fix it.

    https://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-57420950-243/kickstarter-project-aims-...”

    Ah, god bless the internet.

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • Andrew Kimery

    April 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm in reply to: No Convergence of iOS & OS X

    [Chris Kenny] “Apple did books because they were easy once the iPad was out there and the iTunes Store infrastructure was in place, not because they were a big market.”

    Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but a digital bookstore and the iPad as an eReader was part of the plan all along, IMO. Even when Jobs gave that interview panning eReaders and digital book stores I bet he knew Apple would have a digital bookstore and a key selling point of the iPad would be as an eReader.

    Jobs did something very surprising, at least to me, in giving props to Amazon and the Kindle during the unveiling of the original iPad.


    “But yes, Apple has a history of insisting certain products aren’t worthwhile until they start making them. In some cases (when Apple only enters markets years later), it might even be genuine — Apple really doesn’t think certain products are worthwhile until new technologies and new approaches make them so. It’s quite possible that Apple doesn’t quite see how iOS and OS X could be usefully merged today, but they’ve got people working on figuring it out.”

    I think it’s the extreme black and white nature that makes it stand out so much. Some companies might give a non-answer like “we’ll see where the market goes and if it makes sense for us blah blah blah” and some companies, like Adobe w/Adobe Labs, will actively show off things they are working on in an ‘Hey, we don’t know exactly what to do with this but it’s cool and we wanted to share it’ type fashion.

    Apple, on the other hand is very black and white, yes or no about their products publicly. If they make something it is unprecedentedly magical and if they don’t it’s useless crap. I say ‘publicly’ because from what I’ve read there’s a stock pile of things in Apple’s labs that have never, will never, see the light of day and that doesn’t surprise me.

    I mean, Apple had OSX running on intel chips for years before they made the switch from PPC and I bet they have contingency plans up the wazoo. I think Apple is a very prepared, methodical company that has far flung product road maps, they just don’t give any hint of what’s on those road maps to anyone but the most senior staff at Apple.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

  • Andrew Kimery

    April 25, 2012 at 4:24 am in reply to: No Convergence of iOS & OS X

    Jobs also panned the Kindle because “no one reads anymore” and said that flash-based MP3 players always ended up discarded because they are too small. In both cases iPads and iPod Shuffles had to be sitting in a lab somewhere deep in the bowels of Cupertino.

    -Andrew

    2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Page 278 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy