Forum Replies Created
-
[David Cherniack] “OTOH so did any garden variety demagogue and, not needing to stir the pot to a boiling frenzy, I won’t bother to name those who had an even higher degree of stage presence than Mr. Jobs. Hint: they were CEOs of countries.”
That’s not really saying much, IMO. I mean, it’s pretty easy to be captivating when you are a world leader and talking about important sh*t that matters. Now, being captivating while demoing an update to a box that will let you watch movies on your TV or using the word ‘magical’ to describe a tablet and keeping a straight face… That’s a totally different breed. 😉-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[Joseph Owens] “At the end of the day, many are choosing not to choose.”
As a great man once said, “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”
-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
Andrew Kimery
April 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm in reply to: OT: Adobe’s Colaborative Workflow Concept (at NAB)[Tim Wilson] “You’re actually seeing more of that these days. Avid did a compelling demo of their collaborative cloud toolset a couple of years ago, and it just came to fruition this year.”
I remember the Edit Anywhere on Anything demo from a couple of years ago but I haven’t heard anything about it since.
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[David Cherniack] “Good is in the eye of the beholder. Some looked at Mr. Jobs on stage and saw equal parts of demagogary, egomania, snake oil, and visionary. And probably more of the first three than the last. For those folks the message was obscured by the messenger. I guess it depended on whether or not one drank his cool-aid.”
Whether or not you succumbed to Steve’s RDF (Reality Distortion Field) I don’t think you can disagree that he had a very high level showmanship and stage presence, especially for a CEO.
-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
Reminds me of Philip Hodgett’s First Cuts for FCP classic.
https://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/FirstCuts/
-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[Bill Davis] “I believe that’s a large part of why FCP-X is only $299. It’s still wildly profitably at that price since the bulk of the distribution costs have vanished.”
Is it? Or is it just profitable enough because you have to own a Mac running at least 10.6.8 to use it? After all, Apple is a hardware company at heart. I know there are costs w/making a disc, packaging and shipping but I can’t imagine that aspect of it for a business the size of Apple is all that much.I mean isn’t that along the same lines as saying a Hollywood blockbuster should be significantly less expensive to make as long it’s sold only as a download/stream and not as DVD & Blu-ray?
-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[Bret Williams] “While at the same time Apple shook things up by creating a piece of software that was a completely different paradigm AND a completely different customer base and focus. at least for now. I’d say their focus is pretty much all Mac users that want to edit video AND some pro/high end. They probably are investing a small amount in FCP X compared to Adobe puts into JUST Premiere and Apple is focusing on a broader customer base where there really isn’t any competition. Some of that base might just buy an iMac so they can use it.”
This is another example of Apple’s advantage of being a hardware company at its core. Even if FCP X turned out to be an out-an-out failure on all levels it’s really no skin off their nose because people will still buy their hardware to run Avid or Adobe products (assuming Apple keeps putting out ‘pro level’ hardware, but that’s a whole ‘nother thread).
When it comes down to brass tacks Apple doesn’t care where you buy your movies, software, music, etc., as long as you buy their hardware (Heck, w/Bootcamp built in they even stopped caring if you ran OS X or not). Being a hardware company that can also make very compelling first part software & services puts Apple in a very unique position.
-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[Bret Williams] “OT: Adobe is great. But this makes me realize why their stock has gone from 40 to 35 in the last 5 years. They are spending tons of cash developing ways to KEEP their users. Apple is busy creating ways to get NEW customers. And that’s why they went from 86 to 644 in 5 years.”
Apple’s massive growth has almost nothing to do with software aimed at creative professionals though. Unless you are suggesting Adobe become a hardware company that sells computers, tablets, and smarth phones bound together by a software ecosystem that delivers entertainment media and applications I don’t see how the stock prices of both companies can be compared.
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[Chris Kenny] “Adobe wouldn’t suffer all that much without Premiere.”
I was talking about Adobe’s entire professional line of software, not just PPro (which I agree is the ugly duckling of the bunch). I don’t think PS Elements would sustain Adobe for very long. 😉2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5) -
[Chris Kenny] “I find that very unlikely. The only realistic way Apple could have changed the perception of who was being targeted with the first release would have been to hold the entire release until additional high-end features could be implemented. Even then, the pump was primed — there were many people already buying into the “Apple is abandoning pros” narrative (ironically because an FCP replacement hadn’t shipped yet). People were looking to fit anything Apple shipped into this narrative — it would have been very hard to avoid.”
You find it unlikely that people would not have complained if Import from iMovie wasn’t a feature at launch? 😉
I agree that if FCPX would’ve launched with high-end features enabled that would have given a different perception to the launch. And what you are saying furthers my hypothesis. At some point during the development of FCPX the choice for launch features was set (iMovie thumbs up, XML thumbs down). If it was a time crunch issue why didn’t they get started on development earlier? I’m sure w/all of Apple’s in-house development experience they could do a good job of planning out realistic development schedule.
Honestly, I think the resources got pulled to work on iOS projects, which also explains the final, lackluster update to the FC Suite, and so there was a rush job to get FCPX out because they natives were really getting restless.
Which, again, goes back to my point that when push comes to shove the ProApps users are going to be placed on the back burner (If Mac OS development can be delayed because of iOS I assume anything can). It makes total business sense for Apple but does it make business sense for someone like me that uses these tools for a livelihood? Sure, Avid and Adobe might not be reinventing the wheel (though they are both doing a better job of supporting old media and new media workflows than Apple currently is) but I don’t worry about the next version of MC or PPro getting delayed, or under-delivered, because they diverted massive internal resources to work on an iDevice app. I can’t say the same for FCPX.
W/all that being said it’s not like I’m ruling out FCPX forever. If I see potential gigs start using it I’ll pick it up but I doubt I’ll make it my go-to NLE like FCP classic was.
-Andrew
2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)