Forum Replies Created
-
[Richard Cardonna] “If Adobe becomes subscription only (as rumore) Then fcpx will gain thousands of adobe refugies. Including me”
Official comment from Adobe:
“We are not doing away with perpetual licenses. They will continue with CS7 and beyond.
But yes currently there is a bit of a marketing push towards Creative Cloud.”
https://forums.adobe.com/message/5217645#5217645
-
[Steve Connor] “My thought that BMD might one day buy Avid might be wrong, they are clearly building out their own end to end workflow!”
Resolve is still far from being an NLE though. If BMD did want to cover everything from shooting to editing to finishing I would be surprised if they built an NLE from scratch vs grabbing one that already exists at an affordable price (kinda like how they ended up w/DaVinci).
-
[Erik Lindahl] “How they managed to not even have anti-alised text and use the same icons our AVID had 1997 is quite impressive. I’d be very surprised if Ive was remotely close.”
My Ive’s comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.
I think you are the second person recently to comment about the text in Avid’s GUI and to be honest w/o someone bringing those types of things up they never would’ve crossed my mind. I’m pretty utilitarian though (I love Honda’s Element and my favorite plane is the A-10) and Avid’s GUI aesthetics don’t get in my way so I’m pretty okay with them. I’d rather Avid concentrate on fixing workflow problems first (like it seems they did w/the AMA improvements) and save the big GUI improvements for a cherry on top down the road.
-
[Jeff Markgraf] “I’m told Apple insists on individual licenses, per user. It’s not the $299 cost times 20+ users, it’s the fact that the software is not under the direct control of the network. That makes the IT people froth at the mouth, because they are incredibly paranoid about malware and viruses. It’s definitely a deal-breaker for at least one network.”
Malware, viruses, unauthorized updates that could have show stopping bugs, random plugins sprinkled across all the machines that which makes project sharing a headache, etc., I’ve worked at a number of multi-seat places and even though it can be a PITA to wait for IT to rollout updates or new software to all the machines, not having every machine locked down is an even bigger disaster waiting to happen.
-
[Steve Connor] “Despite the great products and incredible price the moaning and whinging around the BMD sites is amazing.”
Are they mad about the specs or mad about the timing relative to the original BMCC?
-
[David Lawrence] “If you wanna see a GUI that’s really stuck in the last century, take a look at Sony Vegas. The Avid GUI is perfectly fine. I honestly don’t understand people who think it’s backwards. It’s visually clean, flexible, and works well if you know what you’re doing.
“It apparently lacks sufficient pizzaz. The funny thing is that if the flat, minimalist GUI direction that Jonathan Ive has started with iOS bleeds into OS X and other Apple apps then MC’s GUI could come full circle and be ‘in’ again w/o ever changing. ha!
-
The GUI is nothing to write home about atheistically but it doesn’t bother me. Of course I really didn’t mind Color’s GUI either so I guess as long as function is sufficiently present I’m not picky about the form.
-
AMA updates sound very promising (the background processing is a nice cue from FCPX). All that and more for $999. I wonder what the upgrade price will be.
-
[Franz Bieberkopf] “I had to look it up – it was 2003 (release) so I assume they were on FCP3. I did my first FCP film finish on 4.5 I think, but I don’t really remember what the difference would have been (3 years into it’s short 9 year release life …)”
It’s been a while since I’ve read Murch’s book about the ordeal, but from what I remember there were some new features in FCP 4 that would’ve been helpful but Apple wouldn’t allow them access to the beta of 4. Apple actually didn’t want anything to do with the project because they were afraid of failure and the resulting black eye it could give FCP. Digital Film Tree and Sean Cullen (Murch’s long time AE) basically cobbled together a tedious workflow from scratch.
-
[tony west] “Unless……….they are seen by some as some what second level. If that is the case…..why is that?”
I think someone else already mentioned it’s basically about notoriety in a West-centric industry on a West-centric forum. It’s not about talent level any more than saying Wayne Rooney is a second rate talent because in America he would be a less effective pitchman than Peyton Manning.