Forum Replies Created

Page 254 of 333
  • Andrew Kimery

    April 4, 2013 at 8:45 am in reply to: Speaking of tipping points…

    Coen Brothers using it on their next film… interesting. Coen Brothers using it on their next, next film… impressive statement.

    If PPro gets on the ‘Hollywood track’ before FCPX does that could put PPro on a similar trajectory that FCP Legend took. Avid, unfortunately, gets the short end of the stick here because it’s just assumed that big budget projects will use Avid MC. No one bats an eye when a movie cut on Avid wins an Oscar but it’s front page news when someone picks an NLE besides Avid to use on their Hollywood picture.

    I think time and improvements are beginning to soften once stalwart attitudes against FCPX. I’ve heard a number of primarily TV editors in LA lament, for lack of a better word, that they’ll probably have to learn FCPX eventually and these are some of the same people that used to say they’d never touch FCPX with a 10 foot pole.

    Looks like things are shaping up for a nice 3 dog race.

  • Andrew Kimery

    April 2, 2013 at 10:39 pm in reply to: The Cloud is the future! Except…

    [Chris Harlan] “One of my favorite bits. I need to watch it at least five times a year just to remind myself to shut up already.”

    Mine too. I’ve watched it a number of times and it never gets old.

  • Andrew Kimery

    April 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm in reply to: The Cloud is the future! Except…

    Louis CK on Conan last year, Everything is amazing and nobody is happy.

    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8m5d0_everything-is-amazing-and-nobody-i_fun#.UVs9Slta3Q8

  • Andrew Kimery

    April 2, 2013 at 7:59 pm in reply to: The Cloud is the future! Except…

    Yup, it’s not like the good old days when tapes never got lost in the mail, severe weather never delayed shipments and people never had to wait a day or two (or longer) to get their package. 😉

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 31, 2013 at 9:08 pm in reply to: Final Cut Pro 7 Export Bug

    Part of the problem might be because, AFAIK, FCP keeps track of time by counting frames and not by utilizing TC. When you change the framerate like that you change the frame count so I’m not surprised that FCP loses the I/O points.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 28, 2013 at 9:29 pm in reply to: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

    [Oliver Peters] “OTOH, Apple quite prominently promoted its G5 as the fastest computer and was very instrumental in promoting the use of multiple Xserves in computing clusters. “

    I’ve mentioned Apple promoting the G5 as the fastest personal computer on Earth a couple of times already. “Personal” being the key word but even with that stipulation I still think they ran afoul of consumer protection laws in Europe and had to pull the ads.

    By big iron I was thinking more along the lines of SGI’s Octane boxes or propriety/custom hardware in high end rigs. Basically systems that couldn’t be bought off-the-shelf. Apple’s various ‘desktop revolutions’ (publishing, music production, DVD authoring, editing, color correction, etc.,) helped cut off big iron products at the knees by showing that desktops can now provide ‘good enough’ performance for a fraction of the price.

    [Michael Phillips] “And don’t forget the ad where it was illegal to export a Mac as it was too fast according to national security standards or something to that effect.”

    I don’t remember that but I do remember when the PS2 when came out it had to get a special import/export exemption as, at the time, it qualified as military grade tech.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 28, 2013 at 4:46 am in reply to: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

    I agree that the market has certainly changed and expanded. Mobile is where the big growth is while tower usage has shrunk and will continue to until it plateaus to just the people that actually need what towers have to offer. We are heading into a time when phones/tablets are the new laptops, laptops are the new desktops, iMacs are the new towers and towers are the new big iron machines.

    Apple’s never been in the big iron business so I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mac Pro replacement is a ‘re-imagining’ of the what a tower computer could be. It would be inspiring to some, disappointing to others and shocking to all. ThB still being copper (and therefore not fast enough for speedy GPUs) is one thing that makes me think the next Mac Pro might basically stay the same but just get updated guts.

    Today a fast tower isn’t a halo product for a typical consumer like it was in years past but I still think it is for professional users and aspiring professional users. That brings us back to the big question of the last few years… How much does Apple care about addressing the needs of the pro market?

    -Andrew

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 27, 2013 at 9:51 pm in reply to: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

    [Jeremy Garchow] “But even today, while the current crop of Retina MacBook Pros are fantastic machines, they aren’t customizable, “

    I was only talking about Apple’s towers. The focus of the portable line has been about portability and size rather than shoving tower power into a laptop that weighed a ton and had less than an hour of battery life.

    Overall I feel like overall we are closer in POV than not, but sometimes parsing shades of grey on the internet can make mole hill sized differences appear to be mountains.

    Basically I think my point is even if Apple never offered “… the fastest, biggest, loudest, most expandable computers…” they offered something close enough that they felt comfortable marketing their towers as the fastest because they wanted the public to perceive their towers as the fastest. The point of the orignal article was how a halo product could enhance public perception of a whole company so whether Apple actually hit the mark or not is a difference that doesn’t make a difference in this instances as Apple wanted the prestige that having a top dog tower could bring.

    With regards to halo products in general I think that Apple has certainly benefited from things like the iPod’s status in its early days and FCP Legend being used in major Hollywood productions. I think their purchase of Shake was also done in part to gain more professional cache and extend the halo FCP had created.

  • If you charge $30/hr now why not $30/hr for the doc if that’s a rate you are comfortable with? If you think you are worth more charge more. If you really want to do the doc but $30/hr won’t fit into the budget then you might have to charge less.

    Has a shooting schedule already been laid out? Is it realistic for what the producers want to accomplish? I wouldn’t quote a flat fee because docs are inherently unpredictable and I probably won’t do anything shorter than a day rate honestly. If all you would be shooting is talking heads and ‘evergreen’ broll then that is easy to schedule, but if you will be following the subject(s) around like a fly on the wall that’s much harder to schedule for because if something big happens while you aren’t there you might have to drop everything, high tail it to where the subject is and start filming.

    It’s hard to give budget-type advice with so little info because every budget is unique. I think this goes double for documentaries because you never know what might happen during filming.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 27, 2013 at 3:34 am in reply to: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

    I agree that Apple hasn’t shown a desire to have the absolute fastest tower. I mean, I don’t think they were ever in the ‘big iron’ market like SGI but I can’t look back at Apple’s history and agree that they’ve never wanted to have fastest off-the-shelf towers around (fastest in class, if you will). Maybe just the use of the word “never” is where I’m getting hung up. Dual CPU’s have been common on Mac towers for around a decade, the Mac Pros use Xeon CPU’s (intel’s workstation, not consumer, line of CPU’s), it wasn’t until the G3 era that Apple started skimping on the expansion slots, Apple claiming that the G5 at launch was the world’s fastest personal computer, etc.,. If Apple didn’t want to put out fastest in class towers I think they at least wanted to present themselves as having the fastest and, for the sake of this discussion (having a halo product), I think it’s a difference that doesn’t make a difference.

    With all that being said I would not be surprised if Apple wants to ‘re-imagine’ the Mac Pro into a smaller form factor box that is expandable via optical ThunderBolt. I think Apple sees traditional towers as the new big iron machines and doesn’t want to compete in an increasingly shrinking marketplace full of very demanding customers.

Page 254 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy