Zane Barker
Forum Replies Created
-
[Micah McDowell] “Can the Intel processors be upgraded later”
No they can’t.
[Micah McDowell] “4 1TB internal hard drives (does that require a RAID card or do the new Macs support that many hard drives without it?) “
You need to keep in mind that your system drive should be separate from your media drive so if you plan on raiding all 4 for a media drive then you have no internal system drive.
As far as raids go there are 2 main types. Software raids and hardware raids. While setting up a software raid is cheeper they are not as stable as a hardware raid.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
[Rob Grauert] “I am going to start sending out my demo reel in mass quantities. If I I want to send it to a production company, but don’t know the name of the manager or any producers or directors, who do I address the package to? “
To the trash can.
Unfortunately sad but true. Most will just treat it as junk mail unless you call first like Todd says.
[Rob Grauert] “I had the idea that if I called and ask they just wouldn’t tell me.”
And they might not. But if they don’t then you know not to wast a disk and postage. Many may be honest and say that they are not looking for anyone.
A small conversation by phone simply saying hi I’m so and so, here is what I can do would you mind if I sent you a demo reel goes a long way to getting that disk on there desk and not in the trash. It also not be a bad Idea after they say sure send one over to say I really appreciate your time, I would be more then happy to be transfered to your secretary to get your address. By talking to the secretary after (even if you don’t need the address) will help to ensure that they don’t filter your demo out of the stack of mail that actually ends up on the desk of whomever. Just about every place has the secretary filter the mail.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
Zane Barker
June 23, 2009 at 3:51 pm in reply to: Formatting and partitoning an external hard drive.[Luke Ogden] “there is a chance I might use the drive to transfer files to and from a pc, so should i format it in a way that would allow this or given how rare this is not bother and go with OS extended? “
Go with OSX Extended if you format it Fat32 so that a windows machine can read it also then the drive will have a 4GB file limit and that will just cause lots of headaches for video work.
[Luke Ogden] “As I’m sure most will know, FCS2 comes with loads of files/templates/plugins/etc for soundtrack,motion,livetype… which are currently on my internal drive taking up a lot of room. I’d quite like to have these on my external too but also have fcs2 function if I don’t have my hard drive on me. soooooo
would you advice partitioning the drive too one part as my capture scratch and the other part for all this stuff? “
No need to partition at all. Simply create a folder for all the FCP extras and when installing FCS choose that folder as the destination for all the loads of extras that get installed. Also create another folder where you keep your FCP projects organized.
FCS2 will function when that drive is not plugged in you just will not have any access to all the motion add-ons, DVDSP templates, livetype fonts, and soundtrack loops.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
[christie Koriakin] “Should I just media manage projects over to a storage drive and dump all my extraneous footage?”
I totally would.
Like David says why keep buying drives the way you are, just get bare drives.
Drive docks like this are great
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/FWU2ES2HDK/
and hard drives are CHEEP
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A38016/There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
Sounds like you mistakenly messed it up quite well. Just from what you have described I really don’t think that it is something that we can really help you with via a web forum.
I suggest making an appointment at an Apple Store and let one of their geniuses help you get things squared away.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
[J. Tad Newberry] “is CCC any good at incremental changes?”
The incremental backup feature in CCC works fine (its way faster then doing a whole new clone each time), however the incremental feature on CCC works VARY different then they way Time Machine does Incremental backups.
Time Machine keeps all incremental backups (until the backup drive is full then it drops the oldest one) that way you can go back in time and bring back files that are farther back then the last incremental backup.
When CCC does its incremental backup it simply compares the last CCC backup with the current state of the drive being backed up and then backs up any files that are new or have been changed. When it does that it does NOT keep any older files or files that are no longer on the drive you are backing up from. The end result from a CCC incremental back up is still an exact clone of the drive, just as if you had done a full clone, it is just a TON faster.
So the reason I recommend doing both is because with CCC you get a bootable clone AND with Time Machine you can go back and recover files that may be from several incremental backups ago. You cannot do that with CCC, it only gives you a backup of one fixed point in time. Time Machine does give you multiple points in time that you can go to but it is NOT bootable like CCC.
I hope that better explains why it is so nice to do both.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
Zane Barker
June 14, 2009 at 9:01 pm in reply to: Exporting a 30 minutes seq in less than 10 minutes[pedro casais] “I got a mackbook pro intel 1gb ram”
First thing get your self more ram.
[pedro casais] “I got a final 30 minutes seq that I like to quickly put on the ipod for easy viewing on a tv monitor”
First let me say that playing a video from an iPod is not the best way to show quality of video. However the fastest way to create a file that will play on an iPod, is to export a reference video file from FCP and then use the turbo.264HD from Elgato. The turbo.264HD is a USB hardware encoder that significantly speeds up the time it takes to create h.264 files.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
[Bob Cole] “Does Time Machine make Carbon Copy Cloner obsolete?”
No. TimeMachine does not make a bootable backup while CCC does.
[Bob Cole] “How do you recommend combining the two? “
Simply do both.
I like having both so that id something happens I can boot from the CCC disk and get something done if I have a deadline. However I also like having Time Machine because then I can go back in time and bring back a file that may have been deleted or a older version of a file that is now corrupt. You cant do that with CCC because it keeps the two drives completely identical so if the file you need was already deleted or corrupt at the last CCC then CCC cannot git you back the file.
Simply put use both and all will be groovy.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
My camera is a Sony FX1. I capture to ProRes via firefire. When done I always export a ProRes master to be stored always on 2 drives incase one fails. I then convert to what ever format needed.
If you are going to h.264 often I highly recomend getting the Turbo264HD from Elgato, it is a USB hardware encoder that speeds up h.264 encoding.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity! -
I regularly edit ProRes HD on my MBP and it handles it fine.
I do however highly teconend using a esata raid with it.
There are no “technical solutions” to your “artistic problems”.
Don’t let technology get in the way of your creativity!