Bouke,
While I have no direct experience with the issue, I have heard that in some situations in which a recorder is connected to a camera for timecode, pre-record does create problems. I think the problem was “fixed” by setting the audio recorder in a different mode. I just don’t recall the specifics. The guy at the newsgroup rec.arts.movies.production.sound would know.
As to the start time, I’m guessing it has to do with whether you are using time of day code or not. In TOD, versus rec run or free run, you are locked to the clock in the recorder. rec run, in which the audio recorder is synced to the smpte output of the camera. Then, the audio recorder is taking the timecode from the camera. (I’m guessing maybe the pre-record may mess with that). Unless the camera can run at TOD, each file starts with 0:00:00.
Regards,
Ty Ford
PS: enjoy your vacation
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar