I do some simple DVD-R archiving for small projects, but most of my clients say they don’t really care if the original session hangs around.
BZZZT!
Just yesterday a client I shot and edited for two years ago called and wanted to know if we could shorten his piece. Fortunately, I had the session on an old HD I have marked for this sort of storage. I got two hours of business out of the redo and we did need the whole FCP session to do the work properly.
Maybe you draw a line somewhere. Anything over X minutes for long form. Spots can be crazy busy even in 30 seconds. Ask your client what they want you to do. If the job is too big to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD-R, then add in some archiving time and/or materials, or sell them a hard drive. I just did that. A Lacie 1TB HD was about $170.00. Keep it at your place or give it to them.
Bob, you could sell them their own archive tape and some time for the backup.
If they don’t want to pay for it, get them to sign a release that says they understand that you are not archiving anything.
Regards,
Ty Ford
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar