1. Noise reduction. When I apply the Noise Filter in Soundtrack Pro, it achieves almost nothing, unless I choose such an extreme setting that an odd, science-fiction type distortion appears. What would you think of applying EQ first? If so, is there a method for analyzing the desired and undesired portions of the clip, to help determine which frequencies to boost, and which to mute? iow, is there a “frequency analysis” filter which will give me information for EQing?
> There is a graphic spectrum analyzer option in STP that can show you where (what continuous frequencies) may be causing problems and a graphical editor to remove them.
Would applying the Noise Filter several times help to prevent that odd distortion problem?
> maybe, maybe not
2. Workflow. Although they’ve been broken up into many clips in the timeline, there are only five original clips for the entire show. So this should be easy. But the background noise does change from time to time, and because sometimes the left channel is better, sometimes the right, the timeline in Final Cut Pro looks quite checker-boarded. And because the edited show is 8 minutes out of a one-hour session, there are minor changes in the noise in the background.
If I send the clips from FCP to STP, each edited clip has to be handled in STP separately. Could/should I just do the EQ/Noise Reduction for the entire original clips? If so, what’s the best way to do that? I’d be a little scared about destroying the originals, of course, so I guess I would make offline copies of them first.
>based on what you say, varying noises, I’d be apt to try each one separately as ling as they weren’t right next to each other on the timeline.
(Thanks for reading this lengthy post. I tried posting in the Soundtrack Pro forum first, but received no replies.)
>We’re always happy to help when we can. I have a VERY similar problem over here right now, Bob.
Regards,
Ty
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar