Tim, based on this quote for HP I think your interpretation of the impact on the Z800 is incorrect…
HP’s low-margin PC business has been the subject of separation rumors for months and HP shares have slumped this year amid investor concerns that the company is being overtaken by younger, nimbler Asian rivals.
Leo Apotheker, a former top executive of German business software giant SAP who took over as HP’s chief executive in November, said the moves were part of a “transformation to position HP for a new future.”
“The transformation starts today,” Apotheker told financial analysts.
Explaining the decision to sell or spin off the PC business within the next 12 to 18 months, the HP CEO said the weak economy was having an impact on PC sales but there is also a “clear secular movement in the consumer PC space.”
“Consumers are changing their use of the PC,” Apotheker said. “The tablet effect is real and sales of the TouchPad are not meeting our expectations.”
“For our PC business to remain the world’s largest personal computing business it needs the flexibility and agility to make decisions best for its future direction,” he said.
The PC market has been flat amid an explosion of powerful smartphones and the arrival of hot-selling tablets such as the iPad.
I dont know about you, but I am leery about spending lots of money with a company in this bad fiscal shape and expressing this attitude toward their PC market (be it consumer or professional). Reminds me a bit to much of Crapple.
I know Boxx has a good reputation. But my first experience with their customer service was severely lacking. I was unable to speak to a technically savvy person and was told to make an appointment for tomorrow.
Talking to ADK was an enlightening and extremely pleasant experience. And they know their stuff when it comes to Adobe CS5 (premiere and After Effects especially). I really like that they have a strong presence on the Adobe forum and are very accessible. And they price themselves to be competitive with HP.
We each make our own choices and these are the factors that are shaping mine.
Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
10.6.8
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3