Forum Replies Created

Page 297 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    May 29, 2006 at 12:36 am in reply to: what consumer-camcorder-types are the best?

    …I don’t know how easy they are to find anymore, but I still really enjoy using my PDX-10 when I get a chance…small body, but a huge LCD panel…balanced audio…megapixel CCDs…

    Damn you HD!

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    May 25, 2006 at 3:01 pm in reply to: What are the benefits of using FCP over PP?

    [Scottsdigitalphoto] “Now everyone with $15k and time and ability to learn is a Steven Speilberg.”

    Anyone with Steven Speilberg’s TALENT is Steven Speilberg…anyone else can only confirm they’ve spent $ 15,000. I’ve seen abject hacks spend many times that amount to create extremely expensive garbage.

    The ability isn’t in the equipment…never has been. If you are a lousy mechanic, better tools will not increase your skill level.

    Steven’s take on the PP vs FCP question pretty much sums up my own. If you decide to take some narrow slice of capability and compare NLE software, one will be better than another…change the focus of the comparison to some other feature and a different victor emerges.

    Understanding the needs of your workfow are key to understanding which equipment and software choices maximize your effectiveness.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • I haven’t noticed any quality change specifically, but anything is possible. You never know when they alter some feature that then improves or fixes another one…

    Even if you are imagining…don’t pinch yourself. Take it where you can get it.

    🙂

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    May 23, 2006 at 2:06 am in reply to: Thank you Tim

    …I am still here.

    Thanks for everything Tim and good luck with it all.

    Oh…and a little advice…my secret to having so many jobs at once is that I do a very spotty job on all of them…this is the only possible way to schedule all that in…

    …food for thought. 🙂

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    May 23, 2006 at 2:03 am in reply to: Thank you Tim

    NT

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    May 20, 2006 at 7:21 pm in reply to: Premiere Pro 2.0 “Xena NATIVE HD Support”

    Hi LightPrism,

    Actually PPro v2 does have project settings right out of the box for “Adobe HDV” native (editing MPEGTS, FW I/O) and what they call “Adobe HD-SDI”. The Adobe HD-SDI (and SD-SDI) settings are designed to work with a Xena HS card as AJA Sales mentions…

    I have a Xena LH and with the released drivers (which have AE and Photoshop support built in, though they will look for AE v6.5, so you’ll have to force them or drag them into the proper plug in folder for AE 7)…you can get the board to work with Ppro’s native SDI HD/SD modes if you run Machina (Pronounced “Mach”-in-a like the speed of sound, not like “machine” as I was informed…) you can get output from PPro v2, but the upcoming drivers will make it a direct relationship with AJA project settings.

    There are always more features I’d like to see between CineForm and AJA beyond just I/O, but we need to give it some time as obviously both products are sophisticated and optimized in their own right at the moment…

    …time will tell, but I think he possibilities are tantalizing…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    May 13, 2006 at 11:42 pm in reply to: How much for a commercial

    Hmmm… How good are you?

    Are you the best in your market? The worst? (sorry…least best?)

    What are the rates of the top and low end of the market? Where do you fit? Oftentimes if I’m doing a spot where I’m helping with concept work and directing, I’ll have some sort of flat fee…but it won’t be inexpensive.

    I’d be more concerned about underpricing than overpricing. Be careful about wanting the work too badly. I spent the first 20 years of my career underpricing myself…now it’s painful to even think about how much more margin I could have made on less work and less time…kids keep growing whether you’re there or not.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    May 7, 2006 at 5:38 pm in reply to: 45 seconds to save in PP2

    A three-hour timeline is pretty beefy. I would say that I wouldn’t find this to be unusual on that machine.

  • It sounds like there are some other life-factors that require changes. I have found it much easier to change when everything in my life is changing in total chaos then when some things are steady and some are in flux.

    Right now, I’m not only moving my business, the joint venture has ended with my colleague of 16 years, new clients have suddenly appeared that work differently than most of the clients I’ve worked with for the last decade and a half (in a good way), my wife has transitioned back into the “outside the home” workforce, my daughter is entering junior high and she and her brother will be in different schools for the first time…and on and on.

    It sounds as if you want to change your priorities for your life. I think it will be easier to do if as much of the old structure of your life is overhauled along with your new focus. A really decisive change in career responsibilities and emphasis may very well help, or at least I can say it would help me…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Michael,

    After 2000, we actually paired things down…then in 2002 we paired them down some more…December 1st, my partner and I split and I’m back to being a one-man shop.

    It’s a little different, but I’ve known several Advertising/Media types who built huge businesses, then realized (sometimes after the enterprise’s demise) that it wasn’t what they enjoyed…or what they’re good at.

    I’ve moved into some higher end projects and am working with some far less stressful clients now. I’m fighting the urge to grow like crazy. I’ll concentrate on surrounding myself with the gear I need and do less projects. So far I’m liking it…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 297 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy