Forum Replies Created

Page 295 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    June 19, 2006 at 1:17 pm in reply to: Camtasia in Premier

    I have found that PPro handles Camtasia material excellently with the following caveats:

    1. Ignore the alpha channel (in AE as well)
    2. Set Premiere Pro’s project settings using the “desktop” heading in the “custom” section, then choose the TechSmith codec or uncompressed with the same frame size as the Camtasia capture…(often it is 1024×768 or some other res that is common for computer screens but not for video).

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Brent,

    My LH drivers are not installed at the moment, But I will see if I can make time to reinstall them and reproduce your problem.

    (There is no problem with the drivers AFAIK, I just wanted to eliminate the AJA Project Presets from the software visually for some training I’m doing…)

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 13, 2006 at 4:44 am in reply to: Hello Adobe! Major Time Code Problem in 2.0

    [Dave Friend] “Tim,

    Do you agree that the purpose of timecode is to assign a unique value to every frame of a 24 hour period?

    Dave”

    Not sure which Tim you’re referring to…I think we all get that part of this…the issue is that inside a NDF project, an offline file you create would assume DF TC.

    …also, a NDF project should capture NDF media without converting it to DF…that is a problem…and I verified the ofline file thing.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 13, 2006 at 4:41 am in reply to: Hello Adobe! Major Time Code Problem in 2.0

    OK…got it.

    The 21+ frame offset is cumulatively correct, of course…IF you were using DF and converting.

    The problem is that the software is using DF even when a timeline is set for NDF…and a NDF timeline/project SHOULD capture 07:00:00:00 from a NDF tape as 07:00:00:00.

    It’s a problem…that much I get.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 13, 2006 at 3:28 am in reply to: Hello Adobe! Major Time Code Problem in 2.0

    [Dave Friend] “I am sorry to say that Mr. Kolb is wrong. For every SMPTE nondrop frame timecode value there is a corresponding and immutable drop frame timecode value – no ifs ands or buts.”

    Dave…

    First of all, I guess I’m not seeing the same issue anyway…but I’m curious about the TC values here…

    (I only shoot and edit in DF…maybe I’m confused about conversion?)

    I do understand that there are values, etc…and what the cumulative value would be…

    When one would start capturing a tape that starts with 7 hours flat NDF, I suppose Tim’s question is-why wouldn’t PPro start at that value, even if it isn’t the identical value, and start accumulating offset from there? I understand the concept of the cumulative offset, but I guess I never realized that you would see a cumulative offset on ingest of field tape…

    It’s interesting that the “create offline file” apparently assumes when I type in “06;04;00;00” that PPro assumes I just don’t know what I’m talking about and adds the two frames, whereas if I was typing NDF values in, the cumulative offset should really be calculated if I follow what you’re saying.

    I guess I’m missing something as I never work with a timeline that long, or that quantity of NDF footage coming into a DF project.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 13, 2006 at 3:08 am in reply to: Hello Adobe! Major Time Code Problem in 2.0

    [Timothy] “select New Item then Offline File. Under Media Start, enter 06:04:00:00. Then under Media End, enter 06:10:00:00. Click OK. First, notice that the code appears as drop frame code. This alone is ridiculous. Also note that the differential between what you entered as the non-drop in point and what appears as the drop frame in point in the project window is 21 seconds 26 frames.”

    Hmmm…I think I did it just as you described…and I see no error. It does present in DF as you said, but the in point for my offline clip is 06;04;00;02…which is precisely what I would expect the DF value to be…the 06;10;00;00 holds of course because it is the tenth minute…and my media duration reads 00;05;59;29…also appropriate.

    Other than I suppose one could be upset about the forced DF values (although I created an offline clip in a DF project…I guess I’m not sure why that would be unexpected…), I guess I’m either not having the same issue, or I still don’t understand it.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 12, 2006 at 4:04 pm in reply to: Hello Adobe! Major Time Code Problem in 2.0

    [Dave Friend] “Oh, and the representation of the value 07:15:05:00 NDF as 07:15:31:04 DF is 100% correct.”

    Hi Dave…

    …it’s correct on a 7 hour timeline…but not a tape that started with hour 7 from the field.

    This is indeed a REALLY bad problem if it is as described. I have been trying to reproduce here and am not seeing the same results…it all seems fine.

    Tim-can you give me another specific instance where I can repro the issue?

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 12, 2006 at 3:52 pm in reply to: PPRO 2.0 Title Designer Problem

    Have you checked the directory to see if the file is there?

    It might just be a bad install disk… I would think Adobe would be willing to swap it out if that was the case.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 10, 2006 at 4:49 am in reply to: Welcome Tim Kolb to the AJA XENA COW leadership team

    Thanks guys.

    I’m kind of slammed here for a couple of months so if I am here sporadically…please don’t take it personally.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    June 9, 2006 at 5:15 pm in reply to: MGFX Designer expanding into the corporate arena

    [David Cohen] “I could be barking up the wrong tree and should stick to the production companies, and this sort of thing – perhapse competing with Power Point presnetations – is a monumental waste of time. I only bring this up because your last line seems to imply that it is just harder ot pursue your own clients and not stick with a prod. comopany that has thier own.”

    It depends on the size of your market (smaller markets mean having to offer more services to maintain a workload) and what you ultimately want to do.

    While a lot of smaller companies have a lot of software, etc….very few have any chops at actually using them. I think that you coud create some workload by being a resource for some of the smaller production players as well as a possible overflow guy for the larger ones. Every dollar that comes in that you didn’t have to chase yourself is more valuable than a dollar you had to sell to get.

    The dark side of this is that others ultimately hold your fate. Most small one-man shops (which I have recently become myself) usually can make it by having a couple of big clients and some small ones to fill in some gaps. However as pointed out in the thread, if you pursue any video-based work independently, there is the competition factor that may make getting sub-contracted video work a bit harder.

    Power Point tends to be a tough sell for all but the most well-heeled clients as the perception is that it’s so cheap, the secretary can use it…why hire someone expensive?

    Get a feel for your market…get out and talk to some video production companies and just ask them what’s up…it’s surprising what people will tell you if you simplay ask them.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 295 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy