Forum Replies Created

Page 267 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    March 4, 2007 at 1:20 am in reply to: defragmenting video storage drives/Premiere Pro 1.5

    [KirAsh4] “[Tim Kolb] “I generated a FILE yesterday that was 425 Gigabytes.”

    So Tim, exactly how do you fit that kind of file on a DVD? :)”

    Digital crowbar. 🙂

    Actually because of a weird workflow i have for this one job, I have to export very long timelines of DV embedded in an 800×600 interface for playback on computer. When I take the uncompressed file and compress it to the client spec in QuickTime, it is much more manageable, but that intermediate step is a trip…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 3, 2007 at 11:27 pm in reply to: Had to share…

    Those are funny, funny stories…heart-breaking in the post room…but funny.

    I had a client (who decided to stop paying us and buy their own camcorder) once come in with some footage of a big machine…it was tall…not wide…so they shot it…”portrait”.

    Then they were mad at use because the options of scaling the picture down to fit the screen when it was right-side up or crop it to go full screen weren’t their first choice…then they commented that “…this was why (they didn’t) hire us anymore…we should be advanced enough to “handle” this sort of footage…”

    What’re ya gonna do?…just laugh I guess…unfortunatley in spite of myself…I did.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 3, 2007 at 10:33 pm in reply to: defragmenting video storage drives/Premiere Pro 1.5

    [captlu] “Has anyone ever really noticed a performance boost after defrag? Or is the fact that our files are all jumbled and disorganized drive us humans crazy?”

    Try editing some HD video with fragmented drives…I can live with disorganization but I can’t make a living if the video doesn’t play back.

    …and 100 and 200 Gigs isn’t really the landscape here. I have .75 terabytes (3 250s plus a system drive) internally and a 3.5 terabyte fiber-channel Array externally. I generated a FILE yesterday that was 425 Gigabytes.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 3, 2007 at 5:01 am in reply to: defragmenting video storage drives/Premiere Pro 1.5

    I defrag video drives when they need it…never had an issue.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 2, 2007 at 4:55 am in reply to: Video Capture Cards

    It would be helpful to know what sort of material you are feeding into, and mastering out of, these machines…and what kind of production you’re doing.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 2, 2007 at 3:45 am in reply to: AJA killing my system… and me.

    Well… i know that my big new 3+ TB RAID is sitting until we figure out how to free up a PCIe slot for the controller because my Xena LH is in a PCIx slot and my storage guys tell me that having the video I/O card and the drive controller in the same set of slots is bad mojo…

    It’s a possibility…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 1, 2007 at 4:43 am in reply to: AJA killing my system… and me.

    Hmmm… Interesting.

    Can you describe your system in more detail?

    Configuration?

    Other software/hardware?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 28, 2007 at 2:11 pm in reply to: AJA killing my system… and me.

    When you talk about Alt-tabbing between apps, are these apps often Photoshop and AE?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 27, 2007 at 1:50 pm in reply to: 10 bit downconversion

    Again, the tape format you are exporting to isn’t really uncompressed…it’s DV. You can create an uncompressed file to master to a DVcam tape, but DV (NTSC) is 720×480, 1.2 PAR (for 16×9), lower field first. For general SD (NTSC) editing, preparing to feed a different format, you would want 720×486, 1.2 PAR (though most conventional analog SD formats are anamorphic and don’t even “know” what the aspect ratio is), upper field first.

    So, yes the 10 bit codec is the one you describe, but keep in mind that if you are destined to master to DVcam, you might just as well choose DVcam frame size and field settings, even when it may make sense to avoid DV25 compression through the post process.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 26, 2007 at 9:42 pm in reply to: 10 bit downconversion

    Keep in mind that DVcam is 8 bit…it never hurts to maximize quality in the pipeline, but the tape holds 8 bits.

    I don’t think there is much wrong with your workflow.

    However, if you are trying for the highest quality SD master, I might try to output 10 bit uncompressed SD to DigiBeta…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 267 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy