Forum Replies Created

Page 162 of 350
  • [Jeff Pulera] “Using Clip Browser will cause issues in Premiere later on.”

    Hi Jeff…are you sure these ‘problems’ aren’t a Matrox thing as opposed to a Premiere Pro thing? I only use the Sony Clip Browser for transfer and haven’t encountered an issue yet…

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 30, 2009 at 12:39 am in reply to: Broadcast files for Digital Delivery

    [Daniel Low] “Stations don’t want to have to re-encode, they want something that works on their systems.”

    Indeed…and QuickTime’s archaic index file structure makes it a pretty rare format in broadcast server territory. Playout’s future is likely Flash, but is principally MPEG and MXF these days.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 30, 2009 at 12:35 am in reply to: Broadcast files for Digital Delivery

    Hi Todd,

    Haven’t talked in a while…

    I’ve delivered MPEG2 without much fuss…though I’m delivering HD.

    If you deliver a high bitrate file, it will simply go through another transcode to get the file into the station’s (or network’s) server. In some cases with local stations, their dog’s breakfast of automation ends up looking like a bazaar and they have to transcode to cue properly…it just depends.

    It shouldn’t be all that difficult really…Comcast can’t give you a data rate? Typically it’s a framesize, usually a transport stream file, they’ll have a peak data rate, and some scary language about any out-of-engineering-spec submissions…and you’re done.

    Television is easy…have you tried to deliver spots for exhibition in a movie theater? I’ve had tax returns that were shorter than the documents I had to follow from those guys…yeesh.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 29, 2009 at 1:14 pm in reply to: Marketing the EX3

    [Joe Tyler] “Of course you do the job well and finish on time, That is called being a professional. So is staying on task.”

    This is not as common as you appear to believe it is… Timelines are probably the biggest problem with production projects.

    If you are hired by producers who have a project and are hiring a shooter…list your kit.

    If you are doing production projects for a client and are handling (yourself or contracting) the bulk of a project…show your images.

    The lines are becoming so blurred as to what camera is of what quality level…I’m not really an advocate of judging the skills of someone whose gear list only demonstrates their ability to write a check.

    Your reel shows that you have the ability to create images…and that’s what you’re paid for.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm in reply to: Problems getting HD-SDI Signal from HD Connect LE to Xena LH

    Yup…it doesn’t even matter how experienced we all get over time. It still ends up being something fundamental most of the time…

    I’m glad you got it solved.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 25, 2009 at 9:37 pm in reply to: GPU Help Please

    Premiere Pro doesn’t really utilize the GPU…other than about three effects and three transitions. (I am hopeful for the future)

    The GPU will benefit After Effects previews and Photoshop feedback.

    In each of those cases, the cards you are referring to are really consumer level cards. You’ll see some benefits in the apps I mentioned, but it won’t be like putting a Quadro card in it.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 25, 2009 at 4:26 am in reply to: Using Waveform and Vectorscope question…

    Well…keep in mind that if it’s blown out when it’s shot, all that you can do is decrease the level..the detail loss will still be there.

    Yes, technically when it’s below 100 on the waveform monitor it should be in-spec.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 24, 2009 at 11:54 am in reply to: Help with HD in Premiere

    [Richard Windsor] “I want to learn the technical side.”

    The Cow has a lot of resources…the ones I know of best are the ones I happened to write:

    https://library.creativecow.net/articles/kolb_tim/hdv_vs_hd_primer.php

    https://library.creativecow.net/articles/kolb_tim/demystifying_hdv.php

    …and some general info on additional HD Formats for reference:

    https://library.creativecow.net/articles/kolb_tim/formats.php

    And Focal has a book (that I didn’t write…but I was the technical editor)

    https://focalpress.com/Book.aspx?id=10812

    So…there’s some stuff to get you started.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 23, 2009 at 11:54 pm in reply to: Help with HD in Premiere

    I would draw the same immediate conclusion as Vince…

    Chances are that you’re creating much larger files than HDV from your AE renders and your harddrives can’t keep up.

    On the book…do you want to learn about HDV technically…or do you want to learn how to shoot (format makes little difference when it comes to composition and exposure, etc.)

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    September 23, 2009 at 11:51 pm in reply to: Problems getting HD-SDI Signal from HD Connect LE to Xena LH

    If you are getting an analog signal out of the HD Connect, chances are pretty good you don’t have anything fundamentally wrong with the signal path there…all outputs should be live on that box.

    You didn’t make any changes on the breakout box? It’s still configured from a point when you were using it without issue?

    …and you have the latest/appropriate drivers for the Xena card right? I just talked with someone who had similar issues that simply needed to update the Xena drivers.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Page 162 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy