Forum Replies Created

Page 320 of 426
  • [Lawrence Eaton] “I’d agree with you Bill. It’s more of a change in terminology and methodology that comes with FCPX. I’m discovering new and wonderful things with the “Modify Event References” in the last 24 hrs that have gone a long way in restoring my belief that so”

    Please share your discoveries!

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • [Matt Surf] “‘ve had the same problem and, although far from ideal, I’ve taken to cutting and pasting the desired sections into separate projects and exporting from there!!”

    That’s what I do, it’s not exactly a big deal to create a separate project for it.

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm in reply to: playhead offset weirdness cure?

    It happens at a certain level of zoom on the timeline. It’s a bug that is still waiting to be fixed

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm in reply to: Beats by Dr. Dre???

    [David Lawrence] “No. With overwrite, nothing on the timeline should move in either direction, except the object you’re dragging with your cursor. You might cover objects to the left or right with the object you’re dragging and shorten them, but they should never change position on the timeline or lengthen.”

    Which is exactly what happens in my first video, also in the second video no edit points change position as well. The only thing that happens is that the clip to the right of the gap is lengthened as the gap clip moves, the original edit frame in that clip stays in the same position.

    [David Lawrence] “But if you move a gap with the Position Tool, even one frame, the timeline incorrectly assumes the intention is to remove the gap so it ripples shut.

    The correct and consistent behavior would be for gap to be left behind. Simple. It should work exactly the same for gap objects as it does for clip objects. This would fix the problem be consistent with the Position Tool mode. I don’t think I’m out of line here.”

    This is true, and it’s either a bug or the end of a logic chain in the programming that assumes you don’t want to create a gap by moving another gap, either way it’s inconsistent behaviour I’ll give you that. That’s why we don’t use gaps in that way when editing in FCPX, as I explained previously.

    I demonstrated the way you can achieve what you were trying to do without moving the gap clip, call it a workaround if you want,

    [David Lawrence] “Steve, I respect your insights but there’s more going on than “You’re holding it wrong.””

    For whatever reason, correct usage of FCPX if you want to avoid this behaviour, is to avoid moving gap clips with the position tool. Your example demonstrates using the tool incorrectly based on FCPX at this time. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t highlight the issue with gap clips though.

    I will not agree with your statement that the entire timeline is “ripple only”, because apart from the gap behaviour, when you use the position tool, it isn’t.

    What I can say, through my months of experience with FCPX on a range of projects, is that the issue doesn’t affect how I edit in FCPX at all.

    I may disagree with some of your logic but I have a great deal of respect for the way you approach things which makes me question and re-examine the way I work in FCPX, every time you pursue an argument like this I learn something new and that’s certainly a good thing.

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 10:27 pm in reply to: Beats by Dr. Dre???

    [David Lawrence] “No, your demo is doing something different. You’re performing a slide edit on the gap. Note how the head of the the clip in the Primary to the right of the gap is changing as you slide.”

    True, because the clip is not rippling

    [David Lawrence] “My demo is of an overwrite move. The head of the clip to the right of the clip should stay the same.
    “

    As in my first video

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm in reply to: Beats by Dr. Dre???

    [David Lawrence] “But if you move a gap with the Position Tool, even one frame, the timeline incorrectly assumes the intention is to remove the gap so it ripples shut.”

    Which is why you don’t do it, but it is the ONLY thing that ripples in the timeline when using the position tool, whether it’s a bug or the end of a logic chain in the software that assumes when you move a gap you, don’t want to create another gap so it ripples. But of course you can trim gaps and connected clips without rippling, as you say, using the arrow keys as in my newer video.

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm in reply to: Beats by Dr. Dre???

    [David Lawrence] “No, it’s not turning off ripple on the timeline. It’s a tool mode that overwrites and inserts gap when needed. Not the same thing as turning off timeline ripple.

    Try my example yourself and watch what happens.

    The reason the edits get destroyed when you nudge a gap with the Position Tool is because the timeline is rippling them into the gap space.”

    David, is this what you were trying to do in your “example” – notice there is NO rippling going on.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lca4aP6fsrI&context=C396aa96ADOEgsToPDskKyTfxgaf1sfvhCwO-OMx16

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm in reply to: Beats by Dr. Dre???

    [David Lawrence] “Not exactly. In your example at 0:15, moving the clips down the storyline changes the connection of two of them to a clip on the storyline. Their relationship is now tied to that clip. What if that’s not my intention?
    “

    Sorry, forgot to answer this. If you then find your clips are tied to another clip that you don’t want them connected to, you simply lift that clip from the primary storyline, creating a new gap clip in the primary for your two clips to be connected to.

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm in reply to: Beats by Dr. Dre???

    [David Lawrence] “[Steve Connor] “Then move one of the clips to the primary storyline”

    What if it’s not “Primary”? This doesn’t solve the problem or answer the question. Are vertical connected clip relationships meaningful or not?
    “

    When you need them to be – yes, but not always

    [David Lawrence] “[Steve Connor] “Once again your example shows that you don’t understand how to edit in FCPX, the fact you didn’t know about overwrite trim shows this. The timeline is NOT always rippling, you are wrong.”

    Steve, with all due respect, when I’m wrong, I’m happy to admit it. Are you able to do the same? I was wrong about Overwrite Trim. You are wrong when you say:

    [Steve Connor] “Using the Position tool turns the magnetic timeline off…”

    It doesn’t turn it off.”

    Yes it does, apart from gap clips, which is not a problem because you don’t treat them as clips, they are gaps. You don’t seem to be able to understand this.

    I admit when I’m wrong, I have done a number of times on here, even DRW will attest to that. I’m not wrong on this.

    [David Lawrence] “Try my example yourself and watch what happens.”

    As I said your example is NOT correct use of the FCPX timeline, you can take this from an experienced FCPX Editor.

    [David Lawrence] “The reason the edits get destroyed when you nudge a gap with the Position Tool is because the timeline is rippling them into the gap space.”

    Yes, that’s because the position tool ripples gap clips, but that’s all it ripples

    [David Lawrence] “Try it. “You’re holding it wrong” isn’t an answer.”

    Yes it is, you are wrong

    Very much a case of “let’s agree to disagree strongly”

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

  • Steve Connor

    January 22, 2012 at 7:44 pm in reply to: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Can’t I please be excited about this? Please? ;)”

    You know you’re not allowed to be excited about things here 😉

    Steve Connor
    “FCPX Agitator”
    Adrenalin Television

Page 320 of 426

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy