[Simon Ubsdell] “No, sorry, I don’t get that either.
I don’t see how can you be a great feature film editor without a reasonable amount of experience as a lead editor on drama even if it’s only TV … which is clearly not the case here.
Sure, there’s an element of natural talent to being a great editor, but experience is a massive factor that can’t simply be discounted.
Anyone who’s ever cut drama will know that you keep learning and you keep getting better – the more edits you make the better editor you become. It really is as simple as that. I’ve never seen anyone who can cut immaculately without first having the experience, although I’ve seen a lot of beginners who were very impressive out of the gate – there are always gaping holes where their experience lets them down. Talented experienced editors just are better than talented novices and there’s no getting around it.
“
Perhaps they’ll call you next time Simon