Forum Replies Created

Page 164 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    June 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm in reply to: Why subscriptions are bad for Adobe

    [Nicholas Zimmerman] “Well I’m leaving AE for Nuke, but I’m in school so I can still get their killer student pricing. I also prefer Motion for Mograph because of its real time playback and adjustments.”

    Good choice. The problem with AE – which will eventually dawn on more users – is that it’s not as quick as Motion for mograph and not as powerful as Nuke/Shake/Fusion/whatever for compositing.

    Up to now students like you have fuelled the AE boom – that’s what they were taught – all they were taught – and that’s what they have been comfortable with.

    Too comfortable in my view …

    I once worked with a very talented mograph designer who said she never wanted to work in anything other than AE, and never saw the need to work in anything other than AE. What a waste of talent!

    AE is great, fantastic and a lot of fun – but there is a world elsewhere.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    June 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm in reply to: Building perspective distortion

    Why not simply try using the Distort Transform built into FCP X?

    It’s not as much of a fun toy to use as some dedicated plug-in might be but there’s not reason you can’t use it to apply keystoning pretty successfully.

    it won’t correct lens distortion of course but then that’s not what you were asking.

  • [Fin Hirschoff] “hat is precisely what I was looking for. Even better if possible.

    Apologies to all if my wording was unclear. I knew Motion 4 was more powerful than I was giving it credit for.”

    Glad that helped – it’s often hard to describe in some of these things in words so it’s not that you were being unclear.

    A couple of extra things I forgot to mention which might be helpful:

    If you want the numeric scale to start from something other than zero (for example to go from 25 to 125) then all you have to do is change the Offset in the Link Behavior.

    You will probably want to make sure that your font is monospaced so that the numbers don’t shift around as they increment.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • [Mark Spencer] ” I misunderstood the question – I thought he wanted to control something by the length of a text string – by how many characters are in a text layer. That I don’t believe is possible.”

    I think I might have misunderstood the question too, but if you are right then the answer to his question might be here (if you remember this discussion):

    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/170/871351

    A way of having a shape that “tracks” the width of a text object …

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Here’s a brief tutorial to show you how you might do it:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY-qOvQhVXU

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • If you use the “Numbers” Generator you can Link its Value to the Last Point Offset of your line and this will give you the effect.

    Animating (or simply editing) the Last Point offset value will update the Number value onscreen.

    This arrangement will obviously give you a 0-100 result such that at full extension of the line the Number value will read as 100. If you want a different value to be displayed by the Generator, all you have to do is change the Link’s Scale value. For example, a Scale value of .75 will give you a value of 75 at full extension of the line.

    You can of course also establish the relationship the other way around so that the line length drives the Number value.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    May 31, 2013 at 5:31 pm in reply to: repackaging and selling motion content

    [Alex Gollner] “At that rate I could charge a few hundred for the other publishable Motion features…

    It might take a few days to make the plug-ins, but imagine the profits!
    “

    The problem with you, Alex, is that you’ve always been way too generous with all your outstanding and incredibly ingenious free stuff.

    A lot of us owe you a huge debt 🙂

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • [Jeff Kirkland] “Premiere used to have a bug that meant it ignored the alpha channel in ProRes 4444 footage. It was supposedly fixed but maybe not?”

    That’s right – just tried this and although FCP X exports the Alpha as expected, Premiere shows it as solid.

    Why not try an image sequence that supports alpha?

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • What you are doing should work fine – just make sure your Reveal title is attached to a blank Gap clip and not sitting over the top of something with a solid Alpha Channel.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    May 31, 2013 at 3:25 pm in reply to: How to change an SD template to HD in Motion 4?

    Cmd+J to go to your Project settings, then select your chosen Pixel Aspect Ratio from the pop-up menu.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Page 164 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy