Hi Tim
Your question got me thinking about more efficient ways to generate the randomness automatically and I’ve made you this template project that is probably more helpful than what I shared with you yesterday:
6253_interference.zip
Essentially what I realised is that you can create a replicator with those rectangular shapes that has a sequence behavior (with attached randomise behaviors) which keeps generating random blocks.
This is then applied as a mask to the scaled and repositioned Clone layer of your master composite.
In order to only see these blocks of the Clone layer occasionally and randomly, I used a randomise behavior for the Opacity of the layer – and then also applied a Quantize behavior to the Opacity so the Opacity would always only be 0 or 100%.
It probably sounds a lot more complicated than it is but it works just fine. I’ve also done the same with a layer of black blocks driven by another version of the same replicator with enough parameters tweaked to make it completely different. And I’ve even used that same Randomise/Quantize routine to add random frames of Bad TV by applying it to the effect Mix level.
Finally I’ve made a much better version of the random assemble and disassemble of the picture at the start and end.
Hope that’s of interest to you or anyone else looking to achieve this type of effect.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com