Forum Replies Created

Page 155 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm in reply to: Simon Ubsdell’s Motion Tutorials

    Thanks, Sandeep. Glad to hear these are useful to you – that means a lot to me knowing how skilled you are in Motion. And thanks, of course, to Nick for the very kind recommendation.

    To be honest, I’m quite surprised at how few views any of these tutorials have received – probably cos they’re not actually any good of course, but if I hadn’t signed my cat up to be one of my YouTube subscribers I’d only have about two views per tutorial.

    I’m guessing I’m pitching them to an audience that probably doesn’t exist for Motion, which is a big shame. Not because I care that much about anyone watching my tutorials but because I’d really like to see Motion gain wider adoption – and acceptance for the pretty amazing tool it is.

    I can start to see why Apple have only pushed development so far and no further – they’re probably never going to attract any users from among the vast group who’d rather be using the industry-standard Ae because of the cachet that using it brings. You can do so much of the same stuff in Motion but at that level it’s just not cool to be seen to be using it.

    Some kid in his bedroom will get tens of thousands of views for showing you yet again how to make 3D text using a replicator, but more advanced tutorials aren’t going to get much traction.

    I should of course add that folks like Mark Spencer (of course) and Andy Neil and Stephen Smith have done an amazing job at creating tutorials that appeal both to the beginner and the more experienced user … so maybe I should just get my coat 🙁

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm in reply to: Motion 5 Tutorial : Bicycle chain assembly

    [Tim Jones] “Thanks for sharing these! I look forward to your other work.”

    Thanks very much, Tim.

    If you haven’t caught them, you can find some of my other Motion tutorials here:

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeZvvhzFi_ZxWbzZ5bhJ45QWzPHQ3Y5qy

    All the best,

    Simon

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm in reply to: adjust window layout

    Unfortunately you can’t reduce this section below a certain fixed width, although you can increase the width – hence the cursor changing.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 10, 2013 at 11:49 am in reply to: Motion 5 Tutorial : Bicycle chain assembly

    [Don Eitner] “This… is… awesome! I had no idea about the Indent filter. I’ve been layering up and individually coloring shapes by hand like a chump to fake a 3D/embossed look.

    How did you come up with the numbers for this tutorial? Lots of trial and error or pencil and paper math?”

    Thanks, Don – glad it was useful!

    The indent filter is amazingly powerful and versatile – don’t forget to try the Height Map option which is great for creating faux-3D textures (using image maps of your choice):

    The filter works like a true 3D bump/relief map so the light interacts with it in a plausible fashion – great if you animate your lights.

    As for the numbers, I have so say I cheated a bit and used a rather handy internet resource for bike chain/ gear ratio calculations, which cut down on the pencil and paper quite a bit:

    https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • [Sandeep Sajeev] “Hopefully this puts a stop to the daily release of xyz Lens Flare packs :)”

    I doubt it somehow 😉

    And actually I’m going to be giving this away for free as a Motion project / FCP X effect once I’ve added some extra bells and whistles and done a bit more work on making it user-friendly.

    Not sure why cos I entirely agree that there should have been a moratorium on lens flares a seriously long time ago – I remember thinking I’d had enough of them back in the nineties!

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Sequence Text behaviors are perfect for this.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm in reply to: Excellent blog on FCP X workflow shortcomings

    Terrific post!

    Reminds me of all the reasons why the FCS suite was and remains the best all-purpose toolbox around.

    I can’t see being able to let go of it for a good while yet – it’s just way too useful for so many different situations.

    Even if it’s not your primary editing tool.

    I certainly didn’t read this as a post knocking FCP X – Oliver is one of its most loyal champions, as he is of anything that delivers useful functionality. He’s just honest about the gaps.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    August 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm in reply to: Some Questions

    [Sandeep Sajeev] “After reading your response and being unable to get Shift to constrain the movement along an axis, I found that you need to click and hold before holding down Shift. Is that how it works for you? I find it pretty fiddly to do this with a Pen. Also finding it easier to move along X as opposed to Y.”

    I find that you can either hold down shift before attempting the move, or hold it down during the move – you might be trying to do both at the same time which might not always work. I can’t get friendly with using a tablet for Motion so I can’t compare …

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    August 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm in reply to: export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video

    Sorry to hear you’re still having problems. Is your footage interlaced as this also could cause problems? Is this a template that you made yourself or is it a third party one?

    BTW for future reference you can change the frame rate of a Motion project after the event. Simply open the motion file in a text editor, search for Frame Rate in order to find the following line:

    parameter name=”Frame Rate” id=”107″ flags=”8589934592″ default=”0″ value=”30″

    Simply type in a new value where it says value (in this case you would change the number 30 to your frame rate of 25).

    Then save the file and reopen in Motion. (Best to do this with a copy until you’re completely confident with the process!)

    Doesn’t help you here but might help on a future occasion.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    August 21, 2013 at 8:22 am in reply to: export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video

    Does your project frame rate match that of your source footage?

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Page 155 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy