Forum Replies Created

Page 144 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 8, 2014 at 5:47 pm in reply to: stills in browser

    [Craig Alan] ” I went with Aperture.”

    Good choice.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 8, 2014 at 4:23 pm in reply to: stills in browser

    [Craig Alan] “I’d love to add some of the touch up ability of photoshop to my edits. Not really wanting to go that cloud route.”

    As I mentioned before, Pixelmator is a good cheap alternative to Photoshop which includes probably all the features you’d need for touch-up for video.

    Its Curves (identical to Photoshop) are a very powerful way of colour correcting and you have Levels as well. You can do all the expected dodge and burn, clone, blur, sponge, patch healing, sharpening, etc, etc, that you could want. And of course you have Blend Modes for elaborate compositing type enhancements.

    I’d be surprised if you didn’t find everything you needed there. Plus there’s a free 30 day trial so it’s well worth giving it a run for its money.

    https://www.pixelmator.com/try/

    (Having said that, I don’t use it much myself and certainly have no vested interest in it, and I still prefer Photoshop for the really super-tricky stuff.)

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 8, 2014 at 2:48 pm in reply to: stills in browser

    [Bret Williams] “Yes, images of that size are very taxing on FCP. Since they’re probably 10x the file size of a jpeg, they require more memory and processing power. Because they’re twice the resolution they need to be, they require more memory and processing power.”

    In general, I have found that when using oversize stills in FCP X, the best route is to make them into compounds before trying to do anything else with them.

    This seems to speed up any image processing you do to them as well as creating a frame that is the “expected” size for any transform filters.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 8, 2014 at 2:17 pm in reply to: stills in browser

    [Bill Davis] “BTW, I’m no expert at this stuff. Just a guy who’s been in the trenches for decades reading and trying to figure out what doesn’t work. Anyone who’s got better experience or theory to share, dive right in.”

    You might want to check out other “theories” about dpi in video, e.g. this from Rich Harrington:

    https://www.richardharringtonblog.com/files/026a3349ffd567f3cb9b30742914c51e-913.php

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm in reply to: stills in browser

    [Craig Alan] “If I need to I will get photoshop or aperture or the like. iPhoto has the ability to process raw files but with more basic tools than the pro apps. Still for the time being if I need to is that a reasonable option?”

    Pixelmator has some good tools that will take you beyond iPhoto and it’s very cheap:

    https://www.pixelmator.com/

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm in reply to: Timeline index doesn’t function

    A huge thanks for this.

    This solved the problem for me just perfectly.

    And that includes the odd anomalies I was having with Motion as well.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm in reply to: Timeline index doesn’t function

    Yes, I had the exact same issues transitioning to Mavericks (not a clean install) – no Timeline Index, no skimming.

    I also had two very specific Motion 5 bugs, namely the inability to reset the 2D grid and F7 not functioning for the HUD.

    A new user cleared it all up – but it’s annoying.

    Would be great to hear of a different kind of fix.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm in reply to: Logic Limiter Plug

    The standard Logic Limiter acts as a complete brickwall so whatever your output value is what your meters should read no matter how hard you drive the gain.

    Are you sure you’ve got it on the right channel?

    The Adaptive Limiter works differently but it doesn’t sound as though you are using that.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • [Greg Jones] “Thank you so much for the homage to the flash frame effect, but the link for the windblur seems to be dead, any chance of getting that back up?
    “

    You can find it here if you still want to try it:

    https://tokyo-uk.com/fcpxeffects/freedownloads/TKY_WindBlur.zip

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    January 2, 2014 at 11:25 am in reply to: Plugins Changed My Mind

    [Andy Neil] “Or why not just create a GUI for expressions? Type in the expression you want to apply, and then the parameters you need to express values for show up as sliders in the effects editor where you can make adjustments in the same manner that you do for any effect that you apply.”

    Actually this is pretty much exactly what Motion Behaviors are – expressions with a GUI. Wriggle is a very obvious instance of this being the case.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Page 144 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy