Forum Replies Created

Page 145 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm in reply to: Anybody HAPPY?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “[Simon Ubsdell] “I’ve actually found the dancing dot to be a nice feature – apart from the dancing part. ”

    Me too. I jsut want more! 😉 Like option up or down arrow, changes the layer to which the ball dances.”

    Yes, I can see that being a really useful thing – feedback time.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “[Simon Ubsdell] “It’s odd that the whole flatter UI aesthetic hasn’t yet permeated through to getting rid of this type of silly animation chrome.”

    BUt at least the corners of the thumbnails are all squared off?”

    Mostly squared off but they just couldn’t resist some residual roundness 😉 I can just imagine the battles over that one …

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm in reply to: Anybody HAPPY?

    I’ve actually found the dancing dot to be a nice feature – apart from the dancing part.

    It’s odd that the whole flatter UI aesthetic hasn’t yet permeated through to getting rid of this type of silly animation chrome.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 20, 2013 at 6:31 pm in reply to: Anybody HAPPY?

    [Oliver Peters] “Meaning, internally, the “editors” lost and the “engineers” won. Probably as simple as Steve saying, “Randy, make it so.””

    That interpretation would certainly make the most sense of how it has all panned out.

    Design by diktat is sometimes exactly what’s needed and sometimes …

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm in reply to: Anybody HAPPY?

    [Oliver Peters] “What I find stunning, is that no one figured out at the design stage that this is how it should have been in the first place”

    See my point above – it was what is was because the design was entirely lifted from iMovie …

    I don’t there was much questioning of the model at that point in time.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm in reply to: Anybody HAPPY?

    [Oliver Peters] “That’s a good thing, but it also goes to the heart of this forum. For over two years, many have complained about poor design choices based on overturning 100 years of editing principles. Apple certainly presented their approach as “trust us, we know better”. Maybe Cupertino is a bit more humbled after all of this.”

    Isn’t all they’ve done here is to finally throw away the crutches of the original iMovie design – which is the reason we had the Events + Projects model in the first place?

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 20, 2013 at 6:16 pm in reply to: Anybody HAPPY?

    [Oliver Peters] “Ironically, this all sounds eerily like the reaction Apple got when they went from FCP 6 to FCP 7.”

    And then they killed it. Is this the end of the road already? 😉

    Libraries are just what was called for – hardly the most imaginative thing but very welcome nonetheless. They’ve already saved me a lot of time.

    For me the most promising thing is how much faster it is, especially in rendering certain third party effects (which shall remain nameless)! A very significant speed hike.

    The UI still feels sludgy and swathed in undesirable chrome though – did the dancing dot really have to animate?

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm in reply to: All I wanted for Xmas …

    [Mark Dobson] “Simon – your auto grade App is great but it does require several steps to use it effectively. I was rather taken by the iMovie white balance tool because it’s really easy to use and you can make some very quick adjustments.”

    Thanks, Mark.

    Just to clarify to anyone who hasn’t used AutoGrade 2.0, you can make one click corrections using either the Global White Balance picker or the recently added Skin Tone picker which will give you results as good as or better than the iMovie tool (a lot better, I think) with just as few steps.

    Of course where AutoGrade is hugely superior is that you can add in black and white point adjustments as well, but more importantly adjust the depth of the correction for each picker (not a mix but a recalculation). It’s so powerful I find myself using it even on shots that otherwise seemed perfectly well balanced.

    And there’s loads more to the plug-in with still more to come in future which make it a pretty awesome grading tool and far more than just a white balancer or skin balancer. Maybe the iMovie one button solution seems more attractive at first sight but it really would have limitations for professional use – if you don’t like the one-hit result there’s not a lot you can do about it. I’m guessing that if Apple do port it over to X then it will be a bit more adaptable.

    Apologies for the plug – I just wanted to clarify the differences.

    https://hawaiki.co/autograde.html

    STOP PRESS: AutoGrade 2.0 now seems to render even faster under 10.1 making it very quick indeed.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm in reply to: All I wanted for Xmas …

    Can I just say though ….

    … Snapshots are brilliant, amazing, I love them!!!!

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm in reply to: All I wanted for Xmas …

    [Charlie Austin] “lol. Well, now that Projects are in the same place as Events, they might actually be able to make it work. I really think the whole Project/Event folder split that existed previous to today prevented them from making a lot of “simple” things work. I hope I’m right…”

    Indeed. I think it’s now very obvious that the Event/Project dual system was lifted wholesale from iMovie rather than exclusively built for FCP X, as used to be claimed. This is a very promising departure from that original very imperfect architecture.

    Oh and the other thing – because I’m actually editing in 10.1 right now and it’s come up yet again to bite my hand off – is when are we going to get a really robust relink facility???????????????????

    Not this year clearly.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    December 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm in reply to: All I wanted for Xmas …

    [Charlie Austin] “FWIW…(nothing) The code for playhead to playhead Replace is definitely in there now,”

    I can’t tell you how good that is to hear! Thanks!!!!!!

    And maybe in another year or two we might get gang sync as well 😉

    It really is Xmas after all.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Page 145 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy