Simon Ubsdell
Forum Replies Created
-
[James Ewart] “Post deleted Simon but assigning it a role is a good thought.”
It would have been an ideal way to work here – a lot easier than lassoing and solo-ing, I’d have thought.
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 4, 2014 at 8:46 pm in reply to: FCPX and Yosemite how is it working out with plugins etc?[Jeff Kirkland] “With Yosemite’s changes to AV Foundation under the hood, I think you’ll find the plugins most at risk are those like mObject and many from FX Factory that are more GPU intensive.”
Hi Jeff
To my certain knowledge FxFactory have expended a lot of time and effort to make sure that everything would be up to speed for Yosemite well ahead of time (as they always do for all new OS releases).
I can’t speak for other developers but we have also done extensive testing to make sure that our Hawaiki products (available exclusively through FxFactory) would also fully functional in Yosemite – again, well ahead of the official release of the OS.
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
[Bret Williams] “I have watched some of your tuts. One was way over my head. The one about green screen in motion by subtracting this channel from that…. way above my pay grade.”
Don’t be discouraged by that one – it was a bit on the advanced side, I’d readily admit.
But there have been quite a few since that are much easier to get to grips with and are quite fun to do. This recent one, despite looking at some pretty unusual techniques, has proved particularly popular:
Since all my tutorials are project-based (rather than dealing with just a specific tool or technique), there are usually quite a few extra hints and tips that emerge along the way that can be useful to discover – I think.
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.comSome contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “I wasn’t although motionVFX makes good stuff, too.”
I’d second that absolutely – I have huge respect for the quality of what they put out, and not a little envy at how good it is sometimes 😉 Lots of clever, hard-working and talented folks on that team, for sure.
[Jeremy Garchow] “I was referring to Mr Ubsdell. I am having a good time with the truly useful plugs.”
Thank you very much 🙂
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
So just for clarification these are the details of the team at motionVFX:
https://www.motionvfx.com/about_us.html
Who is motionVFX?
MotionVFX is a registered trademark of a company called MotionVFX, which is created and owned by Szymon Masiak.
Szymon is very well known in computer graphic industry and has been working in it for over 20 years in areas like computer games, commercials and major motion pictures.MotionVFX is based in Poland and here is full address and the name of our company:
MotionVFX Szymon Masiak
Bielska 11
43-340 Kozy
PolandYou may contact us via our official Support Channel at support (at) motionvfx.com
(PS. I have never been to Poland, though I would like to some day …)
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
[Bret Williams] “But then browse some of Simon’s effects like mLogo or heaven forbid some mobject templates from the broswer and suddenly you’re dropping gigs of available RAM as fast as the app is bogging down.”
Hi Bret
I’m afraid you’ve got me mixed up with the Szimon (sp?) who runs motionVFX. I have nothing to do with mObject or mLogo or any of their products or the company. They make terrific products and you should take up the performance issue with them as I’m sure they’d like to hear your concerns.
You can find my plug-ins at Hawaiki or Tokyo.
You should also check out my Motion Tutorials if you have a moment – they are quite good, at least in the opinion of quite a few of my subscribers.
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
If you think the pace of development has slowed for FCP X, spare a thought for the pace of development of Motion, where Apple have moved over to geological time frames 😉
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
[Robin S. Kurz] “And great to know there’s a version of PixelConduit working with the most current versions of Motion and X… I thought it had died with Motion 3 or 4! Nice.”
I can’t vouch for its performance in Yosemite but PixelConduit seems to be working just fine in Motion 5.1.2 on Mavericks. In fact, I’d forgotten yet again what an incredibly powerful tool it is – very impressive.
For devotees of colour curves, for example, and they are many, this is just one of the many operations that Conduit now makes possible, but the really the whole feature set is astonishingly deep and flexible and extremely well thought out.
Because it runs in its own interface inside Motion rather than as a straight filter it can make for a somewhat awkward workflow but there are so many ways in which it extends what you can do that it’s really worth getting to know. Not recommended if you can’t get along with nodes, but very highly recommended if you like them.
(A joke comp to show you some of the controls …)
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
[Robin S. Kurz] “It’s a given that a transition is a type of composite.”
Tell that to the guy who said this: “you’re still doing more compositing than any type of “transitioning””.
Oh, that was you!
[Robin S. Kurz] “Even that is called a behaviour, not a transition. One you can obviously use as a transition, sure. Just as you can use AE’s effects as such, as I described. But again, semantics.”
You’re arguing semantics and what things may or may not happen to be called, I’m pointing out what is actually happening in the applications under discussion. It’s only by applying your eccentric viewpoint that an Ae transition is not a transition and a Motion Fade Behavior is not a transition.
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com -
[Robin S. Kurz] “Not in the NLE sense so, no, not in “the fullest sense”. They are effects that can be used as transitions, yes. An NLE (the context/comparison I’m assuming he’s referencing) clearly understands those two things as something entirely different and are also applied and utilised differently. AE simply has a pre-selection of effects that work well as transitions if you like and set them up accordingly.
But little point in arguing semantics”
Hmmm. OK, let’s just leave it there. I would argue there is no fundamental conceptual difference between an After Effects transition and a typical NLE transition other than the auto-animation option you have mentioned. Your contention that a transition is not a compositing operation is still incorrect.
[Robin S. Kurz] “There are none defined as such in Motion”
Not true – there is a built-in transition and I have already mentioned it. It’s the Fade Behavior. As I also pointed out, there is no reason at all why there shouldn’t equally be a Wipe Behavior or a Star Transition Behavior or anything else you care to name …
But I agree that it’s extremely unlikely that we’ll ever see them implemented in Motion.
Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com
