Forum Replies Created

Page 2207 of 2285
  • Shane Ross

    December 17, 2005 at 1:11 am in reply to: HDV to DVCPro HD

    The didn’t capture the DVCPRO HD footage at isn’t native rate? They people might have captured it as 10-bit uncompressed. Verify that…before you capture the new footage. Make sure you capture everything at the same rate.

    DCVPRO HD is an 8-bit codec…but as I said, they might have captured it as uncompressed HD.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 17, 2005 at 1:05 am in reply to: HDV to DVCPro HD

    Uh…the Kona 2 card only has SDI inputs. You are gonna need an SDI>Analogue converter.

    This would be a breeze with the Kona LH, as it has analogue ins..

    But yes, you can capture HDv as DVCPRO HD. In fact, that is the preferred method of dealing with HDV.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 16, 2005 at 10:36 pm in reply to: droplets

    Droplets go where you want them to go. I keep them on my desktop. How they work is you take your QT Movie you exported from FCP (QT Movie, self contained using sequence settings) and you “drop” it onto of the droplet, and it opens up compressor and does the compression. Thus the name, DROPLET.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 16, 2005 at 9:08 am in reply to: How to I get my Quicktime movie on the web?

    An MPEG file is a quicktime file. Quicktime is a “wrapper” for the MPEG codec.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 16, 2005 at 4:57 am in reply to: naming clips in timeline

    Yes. Rename it in the browser and the timeline will reflect the change.

    The captured media, however, will not. It will retain the original name.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 16, 2005 at 2:09 am in reply to: more questions about graphics rendering codecs…

    What is your goal? What are you outputting to?

    Don’t use Animation…That is mainly a TRANSPORT codec…HUGE filesize. Better to try 8-bit or 10-bit uncompressed. But then, to output to tape you’ll need a capture card, and those codecs cannot be laid to DV tape, only Beta, Digibeta, and the like.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 15, 2005 at 10:24 pm in reply to: favorite beverages

    I’ll second the Dr. Pepper as THE drink.

    And add lots and lots of water. Well, not LOTS, but more water than soda.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 15, 2005 at 10:22 pm in reply to: DVCPROHD Pipeline and Online Question

    I just got back from a test online at a post facility.

    We shot DVCPRO HD at 720p24, and captured to G-Raids. We took the G-Raids to a post facility with FCP bays and had them output several of our tests to D5 for the network to QC. The output was thru a Kona 2, and the upconvert to D5 was done on the fly, thru the Kona…hardware upconvert to 10-bit uncompressed HD at 59.94 fps.

    I’ll tell you right now that I will most likely be going to a post facility for the final output, as they know the D5 deck and how to set it up. There is NO WAY I’d be able to set that puppy up.

    Anyway, that’s our workflow…capture DVCPRO HD via firewire from the 1200HD deck, edit DVCPRO HD native on two G-Raids, then take the project and the drives to a post facilty for output to D5. Still determining if we will color correct before or after the output. Obviously better if it is after, but costs might be a factor…

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 15, 2005 at 10:14 pm in reply to: Properly logging and capturing separate clips – Details?

    When I log and capture, I log and capture everything, just in smaller chunks. I don’t leave anything out, so I don’t get that arguement.

    If you are capturing a long clip, and say at min 45 the capture process stops for some reason, loss of power, drive crash, FCP crash…you have to re-capture that whole 45 minutes again. If you log and capture in like, 10 min chunks, then you only have to redo 5 minutes of capture.

    If for any reason you lose some media (it’s been known to just vanish) you have smaller chinks to capture.

    Sometimes, depending on the camera used at the shoot, sync will tend to drift. Smaller chunks keeps the audio in check.

    You get to know your footage better. Very important for an editor

    Shorter clips to scrib thru…if you have one large clip, and you scrub too fast, you might miss the 10 second shot you are looking for.

    ORGANIZATION. The key to a successful project is organization, and having several clips with good descriptions is easier to search thru than long clips with not-so-good descriptions. A tape can contain several different locations and subject matter. LOGGING each clip means noting what footage you have.

    SUBCLIPS are problematic when it comes to onlining, or recapturing a project. Especially with the current state of the Media Manager.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Shane Ross

    December 15, 2005 at 9:29 pm in reply to: DVCPROHD Pipeline and Online Question

    Gary, you are making my head hurt. I am SO glad I am a creative editor and just get to ask “does it work?”

    Well, I go a little more in-depth that that, butnot as far as this. Oof.

    Shane Ross
    Alokut Productions
    http://www.lfhd.net

Page 2207 of 2285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy