You can capture 59.94, 29.97 and 23.98 from the 1200HD deck via firewire. I have done all frame rates. I am currently editing a show that was shot 720p24 so I have captured, and will continue capturing, footage at 23.98. Some shots are 60p at 59.94, but those are intended for slo-motion via the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter. But, if I want to use those in my 23.98 timeline at normal motion, and convert to 23.98, I simply drop into the timeline and render, or use the Standards Converter from http://www.nattress.com and convert it that way. The Nattress filter provides smoother results.
You can edit 59.94 or 23.98 with no problems. The reason we are going 23.98 is for the “film look,” and for the low amount of drive space it requires. I am doing all this using two G-Raid 500GB drives using the FW800 port.
YOu don’t need to go in SDI to get all the frame rates.
I am chronicling my experiences and workflow for this at http://www.lfhd.net.
Shane Ross
Alokut Productions
http://www.lfhd.net