Forum Replies Created

Page 101 of 2285
  • Shane Ross

    September 21, 2017 at 5:45 pm in reply to: Title Safe for today’s delivery

    Televisions…even current ones…do not show 100% of the image. They still have edges that go over the TV panel to hold it in place. And this isn’t a consistent amount either, different TVs still have different amount of the edge covered.

    to test this, export a Quicktime file and play it back on your TV. Compare it with what you see on your computer playing the QT file directly…note how much is still covered.

    Computer playback does show 100%…so if you ONLY play back on computer, I can see not using those old guides. BUT… always deliver to the specs required by the client. If they require TV and TITLE safe…gotta deliver it, no arguments.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Shane Ross

    September 20, 2017 at 9:18 pm in reply to: How to bring in MXF files with a corresponding bin?

    Drop the bin into the project folder that’s in the DOCUMENTS>AVID PROJECTS>”MY FABULOUS PROJECT” Every bin in there is a file.

    And then put the MXF folder in the Avid MediaFolder>MXF folder on your media drive. I’d rename that folder something like “10” or “20” just to have a unique enough number. NO LETTERS…Avid won’t be able to index if the folder has more than a number as the name.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Shane Ross

    September 20, 2017 at 7:39 pm in reply to: Using conventional HDs as media drives in 2017

    “Conventional” HD Raids are still being sold, and are by far more common than SSD RAIDS or SSD media drives. Heck yeah they will do well.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • For very low res photos, I use Genuine Fractals plugin for Photoshop. It does great things…but also has a limit. I’ve had people send me images that were 240×180 stills of a photo they took, or that someone had in a photo album, but then claimed “that’s all I have.” There are some that you just can’t use, but others, do what I can with GF and barring that, print them out and take then with a digital camera, that helps.

    As for video…Terranex or Alchemist for upscaling. I also use an AJA capture card for this, as it does really good. And besides that, After Effects scaling. But yeah, there’s some video that just can’t be saved…like those news places that archive their stories as 640×480 AVI files.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Click on the clip in the BROWSER. Right click on it and choose MODIFY from the pop-up menu…and then INTERPRET FOOTAGE. Then type in the frame rate you want it to be in the ASSUME THIS FRAME RATE window.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Shane Ross

    September 18, 2017 at 6:54 pm in reply to: Sure hope this place stays relevant…

    One thing I’m seeing is more and more posting on Facebook. TONS MORE than here or any other forum…even the official Avid or Adobe or Apple sites. More there than anywhere else. And that bothers me for one reason above all…

    Those posts do not show up in google searches.

    People googling their issue will hit Creative Cow posts from 7-10 years ago that solve their issue. Or just a few weeks ago. Some discussion happens and a solution is found and someone else has that and searches and BOOM, there you go. But Google doens’t index Facebook forums, so no search results from there. And that means that the same question gets asked again and again and again more than ever before. And we can’t say “Google it,” because they do, and don’t get anything because it’s all on facebook. And searching on FB isn’t all that intuitive.

    That’s my major gripe.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Shane Ross

    September 18, 2017 at 6:48 pm in reply to: Naming Convention Advice

    I stick with numbering like Greg does. Rough cut is 1…fine cut is 2…almost perfect is 3…locked is 4.

    So 1.0, 1.1, 1.2…2.0, 2.1, 2.2…3.0…etc.

    But I also add a date to that.

    INTERNALLY you can call it that number, but when you export, just put a date on it. So ROUGH CUT_0918 I do this for all my clients. I’ll deliver a cut, they give notes, and I deliver another..and it’s still a ROUGH or FINE cut…so I simply deliver them the cut with the project name and date. Period, that’s all they see, and that’s how they reference it. And so when they go “In Rough Cut_0918 I would like to change something at the 5min mark.” I look in my sequences and see Rough Cut 1.6_0918…and that’s the one I fix. If they then go “Remember that thing from rough cut 0826 that we had you remove? I would like that back please.” I then go to RC 1.2_0826 and find that thing.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Yes, the OS is VERY important. MC 8.4.0 is not compatible with Sierra 10.12.6. The latest OS that version works with is 10.10.3.

    https://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FCompatibility%2Fen267087&entityId=ka15A0000003fSSQAY&field=Attachment_1__Body__s

    Even the LATEST version of Avid, 8.9.1, isn’t rated to work with the latest OS version you are running. It tops out at 10.12.5

    https://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en267087

    It might run, at least. But yeah, the OS version is very important in terms of software compatibility. ANY software, not just Avid

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Shane Ross

    September 15, 2017 at 3:46 pm in reply to: Media Drive on MacBook Pro for Avid Media Composer trial

    The “media drive” is simply the drive where you store the media. So it would be that Lacie drive.

    [Jennifer Essex-Chew] “I moved the exercise & media files onto the hard drive under “Movies” however it still will not recognize the files.”

    Now, Avid is VERY VERY SPECIFIC about where the Avid media needs to go, and what format it needs to be. When you have transcoded Avid media, it goes into a folder on the root level of the drive…the “Avid MediaFiles” folder. And then in that, there is an “MXF” folder. And then in there, folders with numbers, “1,” “2,” and so on. If the media is not in that EXACT file path, Avid won’t see it.

    So…is the media that Lynda provided specifically Avid media? Meaning transcoded MXF files? Or are they Quicktime files or other that one needs to LINK to, and then transcode? If the former, then look at the file path to make sure it’s exactly as I laid out. If the latter, then you need to first LINK to that media inside Avid and then transcode.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Shane Ross

    September 15, 2017 at 12:21 am in reply to: How to edit a project from someone else’s computer?

    If you can’t figure it out, you can always hire an editor.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Page 101 of 2285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy