Forum Replies Created
-
[David Del] “I am trying to come up with a typical hollywood travelling through space (ala the movie Contact at the opening)”
There is nothing “typical” about that opening, it is a monster even with today’s most recent developments.
This effect was done by a team of people at Sony Imageworks, as I recall, and it took the team huge amounts of time and used Maya and other tools to pull it off realistically…oh, and lots of money.
There is no way that you could pull it off convincingly in After Effects using Particular — or any other plug-in I know of.
Sorry to throw cold water on your hopes.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
Congratulations, Grinner!
Man, it always feels good to get things paid off.
So, here it comes since you asked for it: Waaa – freakin’ — moooo!
:o)
Our best always,
Ron & Kathlyn Lindeboom
creativecow.net -
Ron Lindeboom
July 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm in reply to: Event Videographer emailing Coordinators for new business/leadsEmail won’t work. Period.
Do you like spam? Neither do they and that is what they are going to take you for, especially when they are getting another 432 emails just like yours from all around the world telling them that they can work with the greatest team in the world for cheap.
Don’t bother. Go visit them and take some of your work. Some of them will actually see you. If you want to send them an email, trust me, they won’t reply and they will just spam filter you.
The only guy who will reply to something like that is likely someone who will stiff you for payment after they have used you.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
Great points, Todd, except for the ALL CAPS part. :o)
I would disagree with that as studies by typographers have shown that ALL CAPS is harder to read. I can understand the logic of the newsroom thought behind it that you point to, but upper- and lower-case is easier for the eye to move through quickly.
I am not saying that you are wrong or that it doesn’t work, I am simply saying that in my experience ALL CAPS is just less practical and harder on the eyes — especially on 57 year old eyes like mine. 🙂
Your experience can vary and still be right, it’s a matter of taste in all likelihood. Some people like all caps and many others do not.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
[Ed Dooley] “I don’t think that credits in any way should be required to be able to criticize TV”
Thanks for the follow-up, Ed, it is appreciated.
I never said that credits should be required to criticize TV. But the reason that I demanded them from you was that you did cross the line into taking things personal and attacked the man as much as you attacked the medium. That’s where the train jumped the tracks.
Personally, when I see series like “Invasion,” “Jericho,” “Dark Angel,” “Surface” and “Firefly” die after just a single season or two — largely due to their costs compared to replacing them with cheaply produced reality shows — I am even less a fan of reality TV. Sure, I like to occasionally watch shows like “Dangerous Catch” because it is interesting to see how it’s done, but after a few episodes, so am I. Done, that is. ;o)
But one thing I am a fan of, and that is making a living and putting food on the table for your family — especially in these trying times. If reality TV pays your bills, then “more power to you,” I say. It’s a tough world right now and keeping your family fed and cared for in a good thing.
While I may not think much of it, I also understand that my tastes are my tastes and the world is full of people that do not agree with my choices in TV nor with the way that I wear my hair or the clothes I wear.
Absolutes are far better reserved for weightier things than the shows we watch.
Thanks again, Ed.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
Ed,
If you are going to insult a man, then it’s fair game to answer his question. Really. If you don’t, then watch how fast I turn your account off.
You are the one that crossed the line into making personally disparaging remarks and when he called you on it, you want to take the high ground??? No thanks it don’t work that way at the COW.
Answer his question, apologize or go away. Those are your only three choices, Ed.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
I have tried to see what advantage or what this would bring to COW users, Ken. So far, I just don’t see what that is.
Sell me on it. Why should we care and what does it do for our members? How does it work?
Thanks, Ken.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
Ron Lindeboom
July 29, 2008 at 12:19 am in reply to: Please welcome Kevin Camp to the After Effects forum teamHi Kevin,
We’re really glad to have you here. You have been such a great asset to this community and we look forward to getting to know you better in the days ahead.
Ignore the emails from Cowdog that state that all forum leaders must mail monthly cases of beer to Cowdog, care of Creative COW. (We learned of Cowdog’s scam from Simon Bonner who told us that he’d received an email from Cowdog asserting that “English pints would be acceptable” to fulfill the COW’s policy.)
Thank you for joining the Team, Kevin.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
Ron Lindeboom
July 29, 2008 at 12:13 am in reply to: Thank you to Steve Roberts for all his help over the yearsSteve,
It really has been an honor to have you here over the years. Your speed in answering posts here used to get Tim Wilson, Aharon and Kathlyn and me joking that you must have the fastest direct connection to the COW.
We are glad to know that business is great, especially in these trying times for many.
Do well, Steve, and we hope to see you here on the forum from time to time.
Oh, and we’ll miss your bow-tie — it was the coolest!
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.
-
Aharon,
It has been an honor to know you over the years. Your professionalism, humor and dedication, we have been grateful for and appreciative of.
Now, the REAL work begins…
:o)
We know the two of you will make great parents and we look forward to watching both you and your family grow in the days ahead. Kids do that to you. 🙂
As Serge said, welcome to club.
Ron Lindeboom
PS: Cowdog wants to know how many puppies you had? I told him one. He doesn’t buy it. “There’s always more than that,” he snuffled in his rather doglike jowled reply.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.