Forum Replies Created

Page 129 of 195
  • [David Mathis] “my personal preference is to work with audio in traditional tracks”

    If you think about it, getting rid of tracks in a DAW would also make zero sense in comparison. Audio follows a completely different paradigm where something such as the primary story line would make for no advantage whatsoever, since there is no such thing. As opposed to video.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Then ignore it?

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • I’m sensing some misguided bitterness here. 😀

    I’m just curious to see if (and how) Black Magic of all people are even able to decently cater to and support an app like that. I don’t think it will work out for the BETTER for Fusion, but we’ll see…!

    It certainly shows what direction they’re going and what their underlying intentions (most likely) are. Seemingly the new ALL FREE high-end NLE suite maker? Not sure how that could pan out in the long run. Hmmmm…

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Walter Soyka] “But even I’m not sure your criticism of Avid is fair. “

    I wasn’t belittling the engineering efforts themselves by any means. Nor Avid themselves for that matter. I’m quite aware of the fact that going 64bit in itself was a huge undertaking for many, especially after the deprecation of the Carbon API. Let’s not forget those that in fact killed a or all products just because of it for either a few years if not altogether. In fact making a 64bit version of—who’d have guessed it—FCP itself such an undertaking, that a rebuild from the ground up was necessary. In which case I highly commend the maracas it took to seize the moment to in fact completely rethink everything else from the ground up also. Instead of just slapping the old and worn on top of everything new as a (much!) easy(er) way out.

    As I’m sure some will completely disagree with. 🙂

    My point was merely that if you are effectively playing catch-up with such essential features and tech for literally years, then you don’t, in my book, qualify as “innovative, superior or advanced” by any stretch of the imagination, as I said. Especially in light of what others did in the same timeframe, and not just Apple. There are other things to be said about Avid without having to result to such—again, imho—overdrawn and misleading comparisons. In which case you, if anything, belittle the achievements of others. I’m sure Avid is a superb NLE… in the meantime. 😛

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Justin Crowell] “but the FCP X version really breaks down where I need to do specific things like take noise prints (for things like crowd noise), remove hums that are fairly broad spectrum, and remove audio problems of shorter duration.”

    Considering the exponentially broader spectrum of editors that FCP X caters to compared to others, those tools are more than sufficient for a lot of them, often not having had anything of the sorts before, and certainly nothing so simple. And yes, that’s in fact a good thing. Because they’re still very effective for many situations nonetheless. I don’t see anyone here claiming FCP X to be everything to everyone, especially in terms of audio (which goes for ANY NLE for that matter). To lump in every possible more higher-end and demanding situation where those automatic tools AREN’T sufficient, to then seemingly point to them as some sort of proof how useless they are as a whole, is rather injudicious to say the least. We’re (i.e. I am) talking about beginners here. I excluded the burdened-by-previous-NLE quite clearly, but I’m not surprised others bring them back in to tip the scale in terms of learnability to facilitate their position. 😉

    There are still MANY situations where using those one-click-filters (with adjustments) is still a helluva lot better than doing nothing at all. And yes, they’re mainly geared towards those that have no clue what a compressor etc. is or how to use it, not the ones that DO. I see no shame in that. Quite the opposite.

    I for one teach the tools and show what they can and can’t do and always tell students to learn where the limitations are and decide for themselves what works for them and what not. Everything else can and will be sent to a DAW accordingly. But they ARE in fact a brilliant entry into basic audio sweetening, since learning what it is those automatic tools actually do (when explained and not just switched on) is a huge help for later audio work. They see, hear and understand the basics of compressors, noise gates, notch filters etc. do, should they prefer to do it themselves more manually. All without the confusion of endless buttons and sliders. But I can even call on those if I want to go that deep, since each is of course available in form of AU filters also. If you’re unable to squeeze useful information out of even the most simple function to both your and your students’ advantage, then you’re clearly doing it wrong and might consider not teaching at all… and apparently that’s the problem some people are having.

    I just love the obvious double-standard of some in that some things that can’t be done directly with X (in general) are cherry-picked as an example of how insufficient it is (“You need external apps!”) in comparison to others. But anything that can’t be done well in another or ALL other NLEs, well, that’s fine. Cause, you know, they’re not FCP. In their case it’s suddenly the truly professional way to do things! 😀

    – RK

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Oliver Peters] “Do you think you can try to dial the ego down?”

    Wow… the irony of that coming from you of all people in the context of this thread is exquisite.

    Fine, Oliver. You want to stoop down to the usual ad hominem personal attack level. We’re that desperate I guess. Auguring points that were never made other than by yourself. Shifting the goal posts as you go along. Especially since I’m not even the one using his personal experience exclusively… speaking of ego… posing it as the ultimate yardstick. (the definition of solipsism btw)

    There are at least two other trainers here that will say the same when it comes to learning curve. Oh well. I guess it’s up to the individual who he’s going to trust on the matter. But the mere claim that FCP X’s GUI is equally as “daunting” when simply looked at as e.g. Avid’s is, is just simply ludicrous imho. The mere fact that everyone doing nothing BUT looking at it call it “iMovie Pro” makes that notion supremely nonsensical.

    Therefore this is clearly not a discussion I need a part of. Sorry if we can’t all be the echo-chamber you are apparently seeking.

    I’m actually surprised that various others haven’t already chimed in to drag the level down much earlier. 😀 Must have been the weekend.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [tony west] “Brother, you just made the argument why corporations will see X as a way to drive down cost.
    The day rate going down across the board is obviously a bad thing for editors.
    Many decision makers in the corporate halls are too clueless about X to figure this out right now but in the not too distant future, they will.”

    Well put and spot on. Many know too well that in the end, like it or not, the accountants make more decisions far more often than they should, especially in larger companies. A scenario in which Avid of all NLEs is by far the most likely to lose given time imho. They are already. At least at the various media academies and universities that I teach or taught at, all had Avid classes at a ratio of about 5:1 (probably even worse) in favor of various other NLEs… if they even offered it at all.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 9, 2014 at 9:10 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Bill Davis] “So the actual slug line for X should be: The best features of many other editing software packages – all rolled into one!”

    I guess so. 😀

    But then some can’t seem to see any difference in IF something was implemented and HOW it was implemented. In which case, when the HOW is the actual relevant factor, the whole implication implodes from the get go anyway.

    At least for me “certain similarities” doesn’t quite equate with “same and done before”. But then I guess that’s just another question of perception/interpretation? You know, like the iPhone wasn’t innovative, advanced etc. since there were clearly cell phones for years before it! 🙂

    Never mind that everything is a remix anyway. It’s all about HOW.

    https://vimeo.com/19447662

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Vimeo framework” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 9, 2014 at 8:50 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Bill Davis] “I so forgot that if I remark in public that my wife looks great, that automatically implies that the other women around her look like crap.”

    Yeah. I’m not too sure what the defensive, superfluous snark is all about either OR how it’s in any way supposed to add to the discussion in a constructive way. Ah well… guess it’s tradition. 😉

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 9, 2014 at 8:44 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Neil Goodman] “I gotta disagree.”

    You certainly may. That’s what we’re here for. 🙂

    [Neil Goodman] “As far as timeline editing goes, theres too much that needs to be done with the mouse and clicking and dragging.”

    I can only assume that you don’t know your way around X well enough then. Sounds an awful lot like the “it doesn’t work the way I’m used to and or as I expect, therefore it doesn’t work at all” problem. Because I know of nearly nothing that can’t in fact be done with the keyboard if needed. For me there’s also a big distinction between “works differently” and “doesn’t work at all“. You should be sure you actually know of all the options and possibilities before you make such an assumption, as apparently you didn’t. I’d have posted Sam’s video at this point also had Bill not already done it.

    [Neil Goodman] “Did you only feel like an “operator”? were you not artistic in FCP legend [sic]?”

    Since working with X? Wow… do I EVER realize how much of my work was just plain operating, yes. Sure I was “artistic”, but the road from A to B was simply exponentially longer in 7 than in X, no doubt about it. Especially when it comes to larger projects. A difference of day and night for me.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

Page 129 of 195

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy