Forum Replies Created
-
Robin S. kurz
December 4, 2014 at 6:29 pm in reply to: Michael Cioni of Lightiron talking about Metadata, Hollywood, FCP X, and Premier.[Jeremy Garchow] “You could say that about FCP7 too.”
You could say that about ANY NLE for that matter, yes.
Want “ratings”? Set “*” all the way up to “*****” on your CTRL-1 to 5 keys. Done. That’s what it’s there for. Need it ALL the time? ⌥-drag the keywords to any and every event you need them in. Done.
If you know how X was conceived to be used, no one should need to be taken by the hand for that kind of thing. And every exotic, personal niggle most certainly doesn’t need to be a pre-manufactured feature.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Well, I guess we finally all know what happened to Hamburg Pro Media’s MXF plugins a while back. 😉
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Robin S. kurz
December 2, 2014 at 8:24 pm in reply to: Michael Cioni of Lightiron talking about Metadata, Hollywood, FCP X, and Premier.[Michael Hancock] “That’s pretty slick if it does. “
It does.
[Michael Hancock] “But I assume if that info isn’t embedded in the audio track it won’t be available, will it? “
The question is IF it is entered, can it even be parsed to begin with? If it’s lost, what’s the point of entering (embedding) it to begin with?? So that question is completely secondary if not irrelevant in this context. In the case of X: the more the merrier.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Robin S. kurz
December 2, 2014 at 6:59 pm in reply to: Michael Cioni of Lightiron talking about Metadata, Hollywood, FCP X, and Premier.[Oliver Peters] “it doesn’t track or support any greater amount of metadata than many other NLEs, notably Media Composer”
Really? Well, on an aside, I’m not speaking exclusively of what comes in, but just as much about what is possible or can be added/edited/created/used AFTER import and in general, nor was there mention of *every* NLE, but rather specific ones. But show me where you find any or all of the infos pertaining to color profile, camera ID, manufacturer infos, date of import of a clip, lyricist for an audio track, tempo, key and/or time signature, which encoding app was used, camera angle and/or name, copyright infos, ISO speeds etc. etc. etc. in PPro (which has a lot of that, yes) let alone in Avid. I don’t know Avid in its latest incarnation so wouldn’t know where to look… but I also don’t believe it even has it to begin with.
And yes, the HOW is 200% more important than the IF imho. And that’s another aspect that I think X has cornered compared to anyone else at the moment.
But then better/comparable metadata support for PPro has only now been added with the most recent update with the addition of XMP. PPro is certainly moving up as far as that’s concerned (Avid?). Metadata information and workflows that X has had access to for nearly four years running nonetheless.
[Oliver Peters] “If Avid wanted to expand the capabilities of the Find function, they could certainly do so. Just more engineering time, but the foundation is there.”
How is that relevant to Avid’s metadata capabilities today i.e. the discussion? But even if we were talking about “coulda/shoulda/woulda” and the respective foundations they stand upon, I would guess that Apple and X are also in a much better position than Avid going forward, too, and we could assume and hypothesize all day long in all different directions as far as that’s concerned.
[TImothy Auld] “smaller operations are more likely to effectively use metadata.
My previous point exactly, yes, thank you. No idea why it needed any explaining.
– RK
-
[Walter Soyka] “you said that editing off the SSD wasn’t “something [you’d] want to be doing all the time” “
In a “for peace of mind” sense, yes. Whether technically or otherwise rational or not. 😉
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
[Walter Soyka] “The practical erase limit for current-generation solid state technology is much, much higher than you think.”
Like I said, the number is very high, yes. It was only a small foot-note concerning the “spread out the risk” principle I was alluding to. Be it on SSDs or spinning disks or tapes or whatever.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Pretty much my point exactly, yes. Thank you for the more suited, pragmatic realization.
– RK
-
Robin S. kurz
December 1, 2014 at 12:19 pm in reply to: Michael Cioni of Lightiron talking about Metadata, Hollywood, FCP X, and Premier.[Andrew Kimery] “Lots of ‘not relevant’ talk recently then all of a sudden it seems relevant again because of one sentence that gives FCP X a thumbs up.”
Are you misinterpreting/misconstruing on purpose as part of “the joke”? Who said what about film/TV relevance, other than you? What sentence “gives a thumbs up”?
But if you’re referring to my previous point here, I was referring to METADATA (i.e. his app) hardly being only relevant for “super small niche […] film and TV”, which it certainly isn’t. I merely conceded it may play a larger part here or there in those markets. But metadata itself certainly plays the biggest part when it comes to ONLINE, not film/TV (yet). Most film and TV facilities don’t even have the most basic framework for working with actual metadata outside of maybe timecode in place, seeing how so many of them are by far the most lethargic at adapting anything new that comes up. I (nor anyone else that I can see here) never made any reference or judgement of said film and TV market ITSELF in this context, so I unfortunately have no idea what supposed claim you’re trying to get at, sorry.
[Andrew Kimery] “I don’t use X”
Which I guess explains why you don’t appear to know how completely different (i.e. far more extensive) X’s metadata support is compared to others.
[Andrew Kimery] “Smart Folders would be cool, but I don’t know if that’s possible in Avid right now”
Nothing even close, no. And they’re “Smart Collections” btw.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Actually, the only thing ludicrous is that utterly nonsensical analogy. Maybe re-read (further) and brush up on the reading comprehension part?
FWIW, SSDs also have limited read/write cycles, even if they are high in number, so using it for everything all the time would also put additional strain on that limit. And yes, I’ve stored proxies of entire projects locally on my rMBP for remote editing a few times also and it’s a very cool thing to be able to do. It’s just not something I’d want to be doing all the time, which I may have misinterpreted to having been part of the original question.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
[Jeremy Garchow] “This forum, in my opinion, is very different from the techniques forum. Sometimes there’s some cross over, most of the time there is not.”
So I take it that’s a vote for “FCP X Techniques or Not“? 😉
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!