Forum Replies Created

Page 127 of 195
  • Robin S. kurz

    November 30, 2014 at 6:32 pm in reply to: FCPX Dogs, New Names

    [Scott Witthaus] “Hell, we could have a Avid or Not or Premiere or Not forum.”

    Bingo. To whom does the imho tiredly populistic, reactionary and, if anything, inflammatory and unnecessary tenor of the title actually make any real sense anymore? At best giving fuel to the knuckleheads that wander in every so often pointing to the fact that “FCP X is the only NLE with a “OR NOT” forum! Ha!” and, as many have pointed out already, doesn’t even boast a single thread that feeds into the title to begin with. I don’t see how you can get any more pointless.

    How the “or not” debate in any way even FCP X specific as of about two years ago?? That is, to the point that it actually needs its own forum?? 😀 What’s next? “Color Keyframes or Not: The Debate“? “Master Audio Fader or Not : The Debate“? “Crunchy or Creamy: The Debate“? All bear equal relevance.

    Wait… we’ll just make a “FCP X or Not Forum Debate or Not: The Debate” forum debate!! Since that is clearly the biggest time-wasting debate of them all. Talk about record hits!

    The title should have never been anything more than a THREAD title. Period. Kill it and consolidate it with the “Techniques” forum. Done.

    my two (Euro) ¢
    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • [Oliver Peters] “without showing any way to get that from paper into LivePlay.”

    Hmmm… maybe because he’s talked about that extensively elsewhere (e.g. on his website?) and there was little need (and/or time) to rehash to get the relevant point across?

    Just guessing. 🙂

    But then simply using a BMCC would already give you the vast majority of what it needs. Or something like LumberJack? There are certainly a plethora of ways. It’s no magic. But then… what are assistant editors for? 🙂

    And I don’t see how this is in any way just for “super small niche […] film and TV”, though it certainly makes the most sense in that context, sure.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 30, 2014 at 4:45 pm in reply to: Before I buy…..

    I personally still preach the “never edit from the boot disk” mantra daily. For me it also never had anything to do with access speeds or the likes, at least not first and foremost. But rather due to the fact that if IT goes, it ALL goes. IOW if your OS or the entire disk goes south, then you’re not getting to your project any time soon either. If you have it on an external “media disk”, then all you need is another machine and you’re off. Aside from the fact that you’re in no need of ANY copying/transferring if you, as you describe, move to another machine.

    Even your 6 angle multicam should be more than doable on a decent USB 3 disk when using proxy, which you’ll most likely need to work with either way. They are cheap and very portable. I for one recently edited a 4 angle 5K RED MC (as proxy of course) on an rMBP with only a few negligible hitches, coming from an external 2.5″ USB3 disk. So regardless of what you end up buying, you’ll want to go with external storage no matter what IMHO. And I’d also go with the iMac if portability isn’t a complete must.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • This guy is a true guru of metadata and has realized its potential and importance for much longer than any of us. His point (and many many others he makes) e.g. about people oddly still insisting on the hierarchal folder style flip-down organization/browsing (around 7:00) as opposed to a much superior metadata based structure is SO spot on. And showing it with Live Play just drives that point home that much more. The implementation and use of metadata is just plain brilliant. And the way it should have been loooong long ago. And the way only FCP X has actually managed to address light years ahead of anyone else. Fortunately it seems to be sinking in ever so slowly. 🙂

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 30, 2014 at 4:04 pm in reply to: Basic Rigging Question

    [David Mathis] “2. Frame rate of 24 FPS or 30 FPS”

    Completely unnecessary i.e. irrelevant. The fps of the project in which it is applied it inherited. If you make the fade e.g. one second long, then it will be 30 frames in an NTSC project, 25 in a PAL one. Otherwise you’d have to make TWO and set them at a specific frame length and set up a rig to use (hide/deactivate) the one or the other as needed.

    [David Mathis] “for example publishing a transition instead?”

    As what else could you possibly be publishing it as? A fade is a transition.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 24, 2014 at 9:18 am in reply to: Audio Issue with Motion 5 Transition

    What Mark said. On both counts. That debonaire lookin’ Ripple dude… Mike or Martin or something… has the best, most comprehensive english language Motion training there is. 😉

    https://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/motion-5-tutorials.html

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Vimeo framework” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Brett Sherman] “Yes. I agree this particular statement is a bit out of bounds.”

    Yeah. Sure would be. Had anyone actually said it. Too bad that some people seemingly prefer to misinterpret and twist others’ assertions to, I guess, feed their own confirmation bias as a weird attempt at discrediting those that disagree? Another great example: Bill’s statement that has been vehemently discussed, but he, too, never actually made… funny how I and others got what was meant perfectly the first time around… hmmm…

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 13, 2014 at 6:24 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Walter Soyka] “Suggesting that someone who does not share your personal preference might be an “elitist nerd” operator, “

    Thanks for making my point. Never mind that I wasn’t referring to users of any specific NLE in particular. They are in fact completely platform and NLE agnostic.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 13, 2014 at 10:48 am in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Bill Davis] “(See, I had to go on defense there, to make sure I was “inclusive” or people would have spun that to me arguing – again! – that X is “better overall” – it really is tiring to always have to constantly play defense)”

    Hear hear. No idea why simply expressing a personal preference and maybe a different view or experience on matters put to discussion (or NOT I guess??) is axiomatically interpreted as an attack on any and every personal preference, view or experience someone else may have. Interpreted to mean nothing else than “Mine is better than yours! Nyeh nyeh nyeh!” as a whole by default.

    It’s childish and laborious to no end. Especially when we’re talking about a forum geared specifically towards FCP X and that turns out to be the bone of contention over and over again anyway. Huh?? What the… (which brings me to not getting the whole point or intention of this thread to begin with either btw)

    To think that I (and I’m sure others) explicitly avoid forums that cater to other NLE users to also avoid exactly those sorts of constant, meandering diatribes… and you’re followed wherever you go by those “I’m mo’ betta PRO than you!” folk, set on clarifying what a doofus you are for being content with X and need to save you from yourself.

    Sorry, I don’t get the purpose in or gain from expending such energy on something ultimately so utterly paltry as a friggen software package. As much as I’ve made myself guilty of getting dragged into said “discussions”, yes. My bad.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

    To your “inclusiveness”: my merely stating a personal preference as a side-note as a possible option for anyone interested (AND clearly stating that I had no idea what the competition was doing, therefore it could hardly be qualified as any kind of judgment or as a “the others suck!” comparison) STILL resulted in my being embroiled in what seemed like some sort of sales pitch for “the other side” from more than one person. Completely for arguments sake, nothing else. It had nothing to do with respecting actual, individual and objective need, just with one-upping something I dared to personally prefer… but then I guess that fits in perfectly as far as the IMO ostensible point of the thread as a whole is concerned and I guess I wasn’t “inclusive” enough? If that doesn’t qualify as overstepping, then I don’t know what does and I’m clearly in the wrong forum I guess.

    Oh well… GROUP HUG!!! ;-D

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Robin S. kurz

    November 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm in reply to: Old dogs new tricks

    [Simon Ubsdell] “If Mr A says that X is better than Y”

    Only that neither Mr. A, B, X, Y, Z, Delta or Gamma, whichever I’m supposed to be, ever made any such claim or judgment. You were the one that felt he needed to sell me on the idea that I could have found a much better solution for me with Avid. Although I have no idea how you could possibly think that you could even be the judge of that.

    [Simon Ubsdell] “your conclusion that FCP X is superior to the other NLE’s currently on the market”

    Ditto. But feel free to quote anything along those lines to prove me wrong.

    [Simon Ubsdell] “those who have the least experience of NLE’s not made or developed by Apple”

    Of course, not only did I learn AND own pretty much every major NLE over the last 20+ years (starting at PPro, Avid, then via Media100 [which I still have in a drawer here] to FCP somewhere around I believe v1.25 with a “Merlin” and Targa 2000 hardware also somewhere in-between), but I’ve also taught each at some point or another. So much for assumptions.

    [Simon Ubsdell] “It seems odd to me that those who shout the loudest about the superiority and uniqueness of FCP X are also those who have the least experience of NLE’s not made or developed by Apple.”

    Fascinating how that describes those that spend an inordinate amount of time castigating X and saying how useless it is, no? Or do you seriously think that those whining about it the loudest have actually ever used it in production? But again, feel free to quote anything I said to that effect. If anything, I judged FCP (be it 7 or X) to be the superior NLE FOR ME over others. Nothing more. If you want to twist that into something else merely to legitimize your claim that AVID is somehow superior (oh the irony) and imply I’m ignorant of Avid or my own needs for not using an MC instead of Dashwood via some abstruse budget quotes et al, oh well. May the hubris be with you.

    [Simon Ubsdell] “I let the context decide.”

    Oh really? Funny how when I describe my doing the exact same, it’s somehow my just being some mindless, inexperienced fanboy zealot not having a clue what he’s talking about, incapable of making a decision that suits him best… IN CONTEXT. Thank god for double standards! 😀

    – RK

Page 127 of 195

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy