Forum Replies Created

Page 124 of 195
  • [Bret Williams] “There’s only two ways to make a DVD that looks that way and the settings panels are the same and both create chapters just fine.”

    Never mind that I wrote “with other export formats“, IOW H.264, ProRes et al. NOT to DVD. In which case the settings panel IS different, sorry. And in that case you have to explicitly activate embedding of chapters, as opposed to when outputting directly to DVD/BD.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    January 7, 2015 at 6:14 pm in reply to: Apple has lost the functional high ground

    I’d also recommend the follow-up:

    https://www.marco.org/2015/01/05/popular-for-a-day

    Fortunately I don’t see Jeremy’s name in there. 😉

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Vimeo framework” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Robin S. kurz

    January 7, 2015 at 6:02 pm in reply to: Apple has lost the functional high ground

    I’m with Gruber on this one…

    [John Gruber] “if they’ve “lost the functional high ground”, who did they lose it to? I say no one.”

    As well as with Daniel Jalkut, “with a healthy reminder that we’ve seldom been lacking for serious complaints regarding Apple’s software quality”: https://bitsplitting.org/2015/01/05/the-functional-high-ground/

    [Daniel Jalkut] “And now it’s 2015, and in the immortal words of Kurt Cobain: “Hey! Wait! I’ve got a new complaint.” Don’t we all. A company like Apple, moving at a breakneck speed, will undoubtedly continue to give us plenty to obsess about, both positively and negatively. I’ve been following the company closely since my hiring in 1996. Since that time, the company has consistently produced nothing short of the best hardware and software in the world, consistently marred by nothing short of the most infuriating, most embarrassing, most “worrisome for the company’s future” defects.”

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Vimeo framework” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Robin S. kurz

    January 7, 2015 at 5:49 pm in reply to: FCPX DVD or Compressor DVD export?

    IMHO, even if you theoretically could achieve a technically (not objectively i.e. visually) higher quality version of a clip through Compressor, I highly doubt the task of endlessly fiddling with GOP structure, P-frames et al to get there is worth the minute difference in the end. The encoder is the exact same in both cases and delivers very acceptable (if not by today’s standards 😉 ) results either way.

    Using the standard settings (i.e. without fiddling) in either would give the same results from what I’ve (unscientifically) tested.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • [James Taylor] “Looks like the chapter markers appear in the DVD automatically.”

    If exporting directly to DVD/BD from FCP, yes. Otherwise, with other export formats, no. Not without the respective checkbox in the (then different) settings panel.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • [Matt Galuszewski] “When using the SHARE menu to create a DVD there is a check box under the SETTINGS tab which allows you to include chapter marker text as subtitles.”

    Doh! I forgot about that. The SugarFX Subtitles plugin actually uses this (quite brilliantly), yes. My bad. 😛

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI92Jrwz4zk

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • It’s for subtitles/closed captions, yes. It’s (nearly) the exact same symbol you see in the Apple DVD Player for subs and CCs btw. A dead giveaway. And since you can’t actually (officially) make subtitles/CCs in FCP for DVDs, it’ll obviously never be active. It’s merely a “leftover” GUI item from days past that is grouped with the chapter button. So any DVD with chapters will have that (useless) button also. Nothing spectacular, just laziness. 🙂

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    January 6, 2015 at 1:23 pm in reply to: Audio duration in inspector

    [Jason Brown] “video editors don’t work at hundredths…at least I don’t, and I’m a video editor! “

    Disagree wholeheartedly. See the above (or below?).

    [Jason Brown] “I clearly want frames. I’ve told the software that.”

    Sorry, but if you in fact have “Frames” selected in the prefs, then there’s no way you’d be seeing the sub-frame TC in the info. So that can’t be what you’ve “told the software”. Set it to frames and that’s what you’ll see. Everywhere.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    January 6, 2015 at 1:16 pm in reply to: Audio duration in inspector

    [Bret Williams] “I guess because you can move and trim audio to the hundredths of a second.”

    Actually, it’s 1/80th of a frame. And it’s something I need all the time, as does anyone that knows what a zero-crossing pop-issue is. That ability is utterly essential.

    And yes, if it’s so confusing, you can simply turn it off in the prefs as Jeremy describes.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    January 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm in reply to: Starting FCPX Timecode at “0”

    [Mike Thompson] “When I go to “Generators” and apply it, it starts at the same timecode that is in the middle of the screen, in this case 14:05:21:01. I’m told that this number corresponds to the first clip I brought into the project.”

    No, that definitely shouldn’t be that way, unless you manually entered a different starting TC when you first created the project yourself. Projects will always default to the last starting TC entered for a project. 00:00:00:00 if it was never changed. Then there’s always the “Offset” setting for the generator itself.

    If you aren’t able to get into the project settings, which you of course should be able to, the way you describe, then simply copy/paste everything into a new project with the desired presets? The only thing you can’t change after the first edit is the timebase.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

Page 124 of 195

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy