Forum Replies Created

Page 101 of 195
  • [Bret Williams] “Every time I tried that, it pasted the keyframes to the top layer in the group. Not the group.”

    Very odd. Works just fine here.

    [Bret Williams] “As well, you can’t see a group full screen.”

    Sure you can.

    Even if it’s (of course) different than in AE, yes, but works with 2D groups as well.

    [Bret Williams] “I just discovered the X button and that’s really cool.”

    There’s also ⇧X as well, yes (which shows *everything*).

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    June 11, 2015 at 3:09 pm in reply to: FCPX Incompatible Files

    Wait… so the only real problem was that you didn’t know where your clips were (to relink them)??

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • [Gareth Randall] “What’s remotely odd or counterproductive about that?”

    Well, if having to render out any and every project (and of the five types there are you can only use one), not being able to edit anything within FCP (which you could if using 7 and 4 or, even more so, using X and 5, but not a mix) and having a plethora of features that you can’t use (rigging and publishing being the first to come to mind), since they are also of no use to you, isn’t at least highly impractical for you… then I guess… nothing. 🙂

    I personally find exponentially extending the amount of time you need for such an (otherwise) simple task, without any practical gain that I can think of, odd, yes. But just MHO.

    Like I said, I was just curious as to which feature of 5 is in fact so enticing that makes those inconveniences worthwhile. That’s all. Other than maybe 3D Text, but you wouldn’t need “Send to” for that. But even in general “fixing” the “Send to” is of no real value to you in the end either, since the project that you create in 5 (and is subsequently in your timeline) is of no use to 7, so you then have to manually import, replace etc. etc. everything on top of it all, no?

  • Robin S. kurz

    June 11, 2015 at 7:36 am in reply to: FCPX Incompatible Files

    [Doug Suiter] “Please share your findings”

    Yeah. That would actually be helpful. Especially since I know this has happened to many others also (including me), so a little hint at what to do would surely be greatly appreciated. Kinda the whole point of a group like this, no? 😉

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • [Bret Williams] “The only reason the Ai files work is because they’re saved with PDF compatibility set to on I think. Motion sees them as PDF files. “

    A far better solution that I would highly recommend, is to use “Motionize” to make actual Motion SHAPES from the Illustrator file.

    https://scottash.com/motionize/

    (it creates Motion SHAPES btw, not PROJECTS as one might think when you see the file. Meaning you cannot OPEN them, but rather you IMPORT them from the file browser)

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Vimeo framework” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • [Bret Williams] “But groups and pre comps aren’t really exactly the same thing either. I’d be happy to group in this instance, but one of the items is already animated. So when you group a static item with an already animated item, you get a static group containing an animated item and a static item. But you can move them around together! “

    But then you could of come simply cut and paste the keyframes from the object to the group. 😉

    [Bret Williams] “Motion lacks here is a dialog when you group a single object asking whether you’d like to keep the keyframes and properties attributed to the group or to the object. VERY important concept for grouping after the fact. AE does this.”

    Yes and no. I makes much more sense in the context of how AE is structured than in Motion imho. Since no object/layer can exist OUTSIDE of a group in Motion to begin with.

    [Bret Williams] “In this particular instance I was trying to attach some text to an already moving illustrator object. Finally I slapped myself and just went into illustrator and added the text to the illustrator file. Duh.”

    Certainly the easiest, most effective option in that case, yes. 🙂

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    June 10, 2015 at 2:36 pm in reply to: FCPX Incompatible Files

    Try simply IMPORTING the same files again into the event in question, as if for the first time. So NOT via the relink command. Experience has shown that that (oddly) will often times work (relink) when relinking itself doesn’t.

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • [Bret Williams] “when I have a particular object that I’d like to move and I always want another object attached to it I’ll parent one layer to the other and simply animate the other. When I use the pick whip and parent them, they stay in the place they’re in and don’t move.”

    That would be called “a group” in Motion. 😉 If you are seeing a shift with the link behavior, then it’s because it’s relative not absolute. So if the linked layers have differences in scale, overall dimensions or the likes, then the math the link is doing for the position will lead to a shift, yes. The reason why you don’t want to be using it for what you’re looking for (nor is it meant to be), but rather just a simple GROUP.

    [Bret Williams] “But even then, when I zoom in super close, I get terrible banding and it just isn’t as rock sharp as AE or Ai.”

    Let me guess… you don’t have the canvas set to “Best” when doing this? I’d venture to say that it’ll look just fine upon export also, no?

    – RK

    ____________________________________________________
    Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!

  • Robin S. kurz

    June 4, 2015 at 5:47 pm in reply to: still driving me nuts

    [David Mathis] “I have since removed the pebble from my shoe. On to more important things.“

    Your words in Maud’s ear that many will follow.

  • Robin S. kurz

    June 4, 2015 at 5:15 pm in reply to: still driving me nuts

    Na… I think I’ll retract my feeding trough after all. It’s clearly hopeless anyway…

Page 101 of 195

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy