Forum Replies Created

Page 152 of 391
  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm in reply to: IOHD and hdv

    You are hitting your head again the wall. Just because a wrong system works sometimes doesn’t mean it should work all of the time.

    HDV is heavy on the processor. So everything you do to strain the system the more problem you are going to get.

    Having unrendered HDV clips in a ProRes timeline, the computer is still processing HDV, and not ProRes, while it may help it is not a solution. The one this I would try would be to move the clips to an external HD and connect it via a USB port. While USB is not recommended for video, HDV is so light of a load it would probably be okay. This gets the footage off the system drive and doesn’t load the FW bus taken up by Io.

    FWIW – Your system is not under spec for HDV, it is underspec for IoHD in general. When I was using a system like that I had issues all the time, and I was working with either ProRes or DVCProHD.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm in reply to: sony handycam to DVD problems

    Convert the clip to ProRes before you bring it into FCP, do your speed change. Even better do the speed change in Motion (still want to work with a ProRes version of the clip) it will do a better job. Export this changed clip and bring the new movie into Compressor.

    From the m2v, use CBR for sure and set it at 7.5Mbps.

    This should give you the best chance at quality.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 7:52 pm in reply to: Reinstalling Final Cut Pro

    Yeap, the disc and serial # = ownership, manual and box is optional :-).

    Why, for one you have no proof that the software loaded was not pirated in the first place. Like I tried to say I was not pointing a figure at you for being dishonest, you were misinformed. If you paid for the software you did get ripped off. The practice is very common with the sale of used computers and normally there is very little value added to a system with preinstalled software, it is there just to sweeten the deal, but it does not add say 300 or 400 dollars to the system cost. This also goes for the OS also.

    I buy and sell systems from now and then and I do a total reinstalls before I sell and if there is software I’m including they get the disc but it is never FCP, why, because I’m going to install that on my new system, same goes for upgraded copy, those are not for sale, they are part of a single license of the software, all the way back.

    I’m not trying to be preachy here, just trying to paint a complete picture. I will stop talking now.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm in reply to: Making a DVD reel

    [harriet jordan] “I know how to rip the DVD=”
    I don’t think you do, because that is not ripping, that is copying. Ripping gives you m2v files and audio or QT files that you are able to edit with. While I understand that there is a legitimate use for this I get tired of it being asked over and over again. The answers are already posted so googling DVD Ripping as suggested or searching this forum with the terms will indeed get you the info.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm in reply to: IOHD and hdv

    Well if you cannot figure it out how do you expect any help for anyone here. You have not listed any settings or system specs.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 6:41 pm in reply to: Reinstalling Final Cut Pro

    Not trying to be harsh, but you do NOT own FCP. Without transferring the disc and giving you the serial numbers the seller has created 2 versions of the software, which is illegal. I understand that this happens all the time and it the reason people buy used gear and think it is such a great deal. Most people enter into this situation without giving much thought to what they are doing and are unintentionally doing an end run to a pirated copy of the software.

    If you are using this software in a business you need to purchase it, it will help you and the entire FCP community in the end.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 6:32 pm in reply to: Scaling Up in SD

    I would also do it the way Alan has discribed but to answer your question, how far pass 100% can you go, well that something YOU to do and look at. Normally you can go up at 115% and be in good shape. Of course your footage has to be sharp and well exposed, the closer to perfect your footage is the further you can push it. If it is a little soft to being with is will not hold up at all. But this is why we have external monitors to be able to judge quality. IF you need to push it further you can rescale in Compressor with Frame Control’s turned on. All this takes time and testing to get what you need. There is no you can go up to 135% with no problem but no further.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 7:48 am in reply to: sony handycam to DVD problems

    [mark pender] “i feel i should mention it was shot in landscape and i will need to rotate to portrait.”

    there is no such thing as portrait in video, video is always shoot in landscape.

    What is the run time of the video?

    Are you actually editing this movie or trying to get the entire clip on a DVD? If editing you want to convert it to an edit friendly codec like ProRes. Then edit and export a self-contained movie for the timeline with current settings which should match the new clip.

    Take this edited clip (or the original unedited clip) into compressor and make the m2v and ac3 files.
    Then use compressor
    Try using CBR set to 6Mbps. make sure you keep the field order the same, above states it as upper. And make sure you keep it as PAL 16:9.

    this should give you as good as you can get.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 4:59 am in reply to: Reinstalling Final Cut Pro

    If you do a clean install of the OS, you are wiping the hard drive and you will need to enter the serial number for FCP, there are more than what is displayed during the Startup screen, if that is what you are referring too.

  • Michael Sacci

    May 18, 2010 at 1:12 am in reply to: Adding menu button DVDSP4 or iDVD

    Look up Buttons over Video in the manual

    The overlay goes in the subtitle track and you need to start it with a marker set as Type: Button Highlight

    The major draw back is if you FF or RW the video which you probably not be able to do in your case.

Page 152 of 391

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy