a) L&T in DVCPRO HD720p60 then take those files out of Capture Scratch and throw them in Compressor, then re-import them in FCP and go from there?
Yes
[Eva Ikari] “b) Is there some way to go straight from the P2 MXF files into Compressor without FCP? “
Yes but the software is expensive mfx4mac is one that I know about. There maybe others. If this is something you need to do all the time the price is well worth it, but not for an every now and then.
[Eva Ikari] “c) Will it all just be the same if I L&T and edit in DVCPRO HD720p60 and then output the final project and upres to Uncompressed in Compressor at the end? “
That is the way I would do it. I don’t think people understand how much bigger your system has to be to work in uncompressed. You need super fast HD arrays for anything other than 2 stream editing and you still need fast Raids for that. The only place DVCProHD suffers is with added graphics since it is an 8-bit thin raster codec, but if you edit with the footage DVCProHD and set your compression to ProRes your graphics will be a little smoother. Then you export a ProRes or uncompressed version of your finished edit. But unless you have a lot of or demanding graphics I would just edit as DVCProHD. That is what the footage is in the first place.