I have never made a disc image, not one time. I use the same method of my T2i footage as I do for P2.
Each card Dump goes into its own folder, each fold has a unique name that becomes the REEL name within FCP. The Card is then just copied into the folder with the exact structure as the card, only the Volume level is not copied.
Open up FCP, Log and Transfer and point it to those folders and there are the clips, every time. You can even do real logging with comments, choice which if any audio tracks come in. The added benefit is you now have timecode, which is needed if you ever need to reconnect media down the road.
You must have the Canon EOS plugin installed and if you have the T2i there is a mod you can do that takes a minute that makes those clips compatible.
Grinder and Streamclip are both good work flows, Grinder is a no brainer if you need to use proxies and give a client or producer, BITC of all the footage.